L# Cichlid Central
  L# Help! Agressive cichlids...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp! Agressive cichlids...
vio1ator
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
i was doing some research on my fish and found this site. i need some help. i have a tank with a jaguar, a red devil, a blue johanni, a frog, a crawfish, and a crab. there is lots of rock and plants and i would to add 1 or 2 more fish. however, i am finding it very hard to add any other fish to the tank. after trying several different non-cichlid species, nothing was thriving and i ended up taking them back before my cichlids killed them. i just added a blue hap today. he seemed agressive at the store and he is a cichlid so i thought he would be fine. but the jaguar and the johanni hate it and are attacking it continuously.

i just added him today and was thinking maybe its just because he is new to the tank. is there a chance they'll accept him and stop attacking? also, what other cichlids and non-cichlids could be compatible with the fish i have in the tank now?
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 07:37Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ok how big is ur tank!!!! must be huge. jags are one of the most aggressive fish i have ever kept and they need at least a 125 gallon tank to keep one for life. the african cichlid and jag wont mix i think the jag will eat it when it gets bigger. jags will kill most fish unless u get them a little bigger than the jag.

we really need 2 kno the size of ur tank before u can add anything.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Territorial fish generally do not like new fish entering their territory, and will defend their space vigorously, as you have seen. A new fish in a new territory has no territory to defend and will try to escape, but has nowhere to go in the confines of an aquarium. Not knowing the size of your fish and the size of your aquarium, my guess is you have as many fish as your tank will allow.

Something that some people say may work is to rearrange the decor in the aquarium, which will disrupt the territory of the old fish. Thus, everyone gets to start on equal footing in that none of them will have their own territory to defend. However, with a fish as aggressive as a jag it might not matter.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
yes, i woud suggest being satisfied with what you currently have. my guess is that you do not have upwards of a 200+Gallon tank.take the new fish back to the store.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 00:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
wow a jag and a red devil in the same tank,just them 2 fish alone,is begging for trouble,you have 2 of the worse temperded cichlids you can have,ive kept jags and red devils plenty of times,and most of the other fish you have in your tank,will probly end up bein eaten or killed,consider it like a time bomb,just waiting to go off.what sized tank are all these guys in?even if its a large tank,you really should think about not adding anymore fish,and maybe even getting rid of the rd or the jag.just about all the red devils and jags ive had,end up in my 208gallon tank,and even then,sometimes it still dosent work,the last jag male i had,become intolerant of anything,in a 8 foot tank,in the end i had to find him a new home..also how big are they,as they grow,so do they eyes for territory!anyway just something to think about,and im not even guna bother going into the trouble red devils are capable of causing....
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 05:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
its best to get a smaller cichlid or maybe even just do a peaceful community tank. A community tank will probably be more easier and enjoyable due to less problems.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 06:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies