Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs My Oscar Sick?
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
recently i have noticed a hole a tiny bit bigger then a pin head in my oscars tail fin.also he has a semi transparent spot on his tail too were the fin could be wearing away possibly and itas got me worried.all water parameters are in check.what coud this be and should i be worried?could this be a possible injury he did to himself with aggresive behavior in moving DW around the tank?
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2008 18:41Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
could be a number of things. Best thing to do in my opinion is to do a 25% water change and dose with Melafix. This stuff is pretty cheap and wont harm your bacterial filtration. Make sure there is no carbon being used in your filtration.

This stuff is really just handlotion for fish, Has aloe and some other things to help heal minor injuries.

Now to figure out how it happened. Like you say it could be an injury or it could be fin rot. could be nutrition issues or water issues. Tough to say without a dartboard lol. So need a little bit of info from you.

You say water parameters check out, what are the results exactly?
Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate , PH ?
What size tank? what size fish? Any tankmates? size of filtration?
what do you feed? how often?
Any serious changes to any of these in the last month?
Do you do weekly water changes? how much per change?

Sorry for the 20 questions but this info is a big key on how your fish lives.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 17:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
nitrite.5, nitratee.23,ammonia.25. it is a 30G for about a month longer until i get my 55 for christmas.fish is about 4-5 inches.no tank mates. tetra-40-60 galon filter.no serious changes.yes evry friday usually. but i do small spot vacs now and then if i see and undesirably large poop.lol.also do water param.checks weekly
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 19:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
how long has this tank been setup? shouldnt have any ammonia or nitrites at all. this is more then likely the issue.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 01:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
correct me if my understanding is wrong but isnt ammonia constantly being produced bcause of fish wastes?then nitrite would be present to feeed on the ammonia?my tank is cycle and according to readings is normal to have slight amounts or ammonia and nitrite.never had a problem before, but correct me if im wrong
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 03:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate

Nitrate being the less toxic unless in high quanity.

Yes ammonia is constently being produced but should be rapidly converted to nitrite by bacteria. shouldnt be enough in your water to be measurable by a test kit. I suppose in theory ammonia is produced just by the fish breathing so there is allways a trace of it. this should only exist in the moment from the time its produced to the time it hits your filtration. So the amount should never reach anything measurable. Like you breathing carbon out in your house.

If its a new tank its common to have these ammounts because bactria hasnt built up enough to convert it fast enough. other instences are after cleaning a filter or maybe gravel vaccing the tank at the same time. Maybe power outage or medication usage.

Anyway you shouldnt completly clean your filter and tank and when cleaning your filter use old tank water or dechlorinated water unless you have a biowheel or some other form of biofiltration other then the pad.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 16:42Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies