AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Is this a Apistogramma Cacautoides?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs this a Apistogramma Cacautoides?
BLUIDMIK
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 1
male usa
My LFS is selling what they are calling an Apistogramma Cacautoides. It's coloring is not like any pics I've seen on the web. Light yellow(really washed out) with a black stripe down the side. Some in the tank even have "marbled" look with alot a splochy black markings. The dorsal is similiar the rams. Their bodies are a little longer than the rams though, but like I said there are no visible colors on their bodies other than black. I've been looking for this species for some time, but I don't want to buy something if it's not what I want. Will these guys color up once they have some room to swim? The LFS has had them for a couple of weeks and admits they aren't sure either. I'll try and get a pic next time I'm in there.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 15:43Profile PM Edit Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
look at the dorsal spike and the shape of the fish. should tell ya if its a A. cacatuedous or not. personally i would search the web forsome to buy rather then a LFS. quality would be alot better.

check aquabid.com, if not to buy then for the pics.
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 14:32Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
I actually will have two red's and two orange pairs. I will only be keeping 2 but I just ordered several and can get you into contact with several guys selling very great specimens. All three guys have sold me large orders of fish all fish are healthy and alive. PM me if you want the information.
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 04:08Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BLUIDMIK
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 1
male usa
Thanks mrwizerd, check you pm. I went back the LFS on friday to take another look at the so called "Cacautoides" I changed my mind and didn't get them. If they were cacautoides then they weren't very good specimens. I did, however see and bought a single koi angel. It's the only one I've seen at the LFS in my area. I really would have rather waited until I had put my cacautoides in first, but it was the last one and they get them from a local breeder and didn't know when they would get anymore.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 17:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
I dunno if it helps, but the blotchy cacs are most likely males while the yelow ones are females.
I wouldn't be too quick to judge the LFS fish, simply because of the price of ordering from the internet or breeder. I personally had a bolivian ram who colored up really nicely after looking drab as heck in the store.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2006 03:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I am kind of with djtj. It is really amazing how much fish change when you give them a stable environment. Most fish in the LFS have been moved around quite a bit in shipping then into the store then maybe into a new tank in the store and the tank in the store will not be set up for the fish to be in its best color. They are more just a storage place until you take them home.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2006 03:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies