Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeJaguar cichlids
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
What is your take on them? Have ne of you kept these? If so what size tank did you have them in and tankmates that worked. I am not getting one ne time soon, but i'm considering buying a house soon so in future i plan on buying a large 125gal or more for it.

I'd like to have 1 jaguar only but will consider other options like a tankmate if i could find a larger tank. I just love the way they look. Powerful apex predator, and i think it would be a great pet and conversation piece.

Ne one else feel the same way about these awsome fish?
P.S Dovii's are ugly
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:00Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
yes i like them,but i prefer Oscar, possibly in a 125 yo coukld have an Oscar and a Jag.there relly awesome and will lkearn to eat from there owners hand,they have great eye sight and can eat a variety of things.Jags produce a large bioload(poop, uneaten waste food) so superb filtration is needed
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Ya oscars are nice fish I have two swimming around as i type. Jaguar would dominate a 125gal to themselves tho from what i've read on them. I have also read some personality types in jaguars will limit it them to no tankmates at all, even in a 180gal

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
the only tankmate i could think of that i would do is 1 another jag(breeding pair) or 2 some type of algae eater.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 05:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
yes,the jags are a true predator,once they reach a certain size,i normally give them there own tank.
the last pair i had were in a 208 gal,and that was a site to see.even the jack dempseys and green terrors new not to mess with the jags.also if you do obtain a 125gal,a pair of jags will hit full size in that tank!
however depending on how aggressive the jag/jags you obtain are,will depend on what you can keep with them.
i found that the larger they got the worse they got,and you had to see them gaurding fry,they were trying to attack me throo the glass,and i was only looking in!
so in the end,i ended up giving them the whole 208gal!
they were pretty much rasied in mixed cichlid tanks,untill they hit about 6-8 inches,then the damage to the tankmates was getting to much,there scales were getting ripped off,there fins were getting ripped too,and they stared shooing all there tankmates rite up the other end of the tank,then a week later boom,there first batch of fry,and the aggression trippled.
just make sure you know what your taking on with jags,even more so if your going to mix them with other cichlids.
in the rite sized tank,with great filtration,get a pair,and just let them have the whole tank,and they wont really give you any trouble,just a slew of babies.oh and forget the oscars in a 125 with jags,that tank is full,my opp the oscars would eventully be flogged/killed by the jags,they are extremly territorial,when they settle in,and it dosent matter if the jags were the last fish added to the tank.
in my opp,jags are in the top 10 most aggresive cichlids in the world,other cichlids like red terrors,flowerhorns,wolf cichlids,umbis,trimacs are pretty much the only others ive seen that are capable of defending/dominating the jags,a VERY beautiful fish,but a VERY aggresive fish!
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 07:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ok in a 125 u will have 1 jag or 1 pair of jags and maybe a pleco if u lucky........ i like jags much more than oscars... they have the same personality of a oscar...

ok doviis arent ugly at all if u get a good F0 male they are one of the best fish ever look great they are 20"+ and if u have the right size tank a pair would look amazing..... the only thing is u will need a 240+ tank for a pair

If u dont want a jag u could go for red terrors they are really nice looking and mean.... these fish are a lot like doviis but are much more expensive.

I would get a cuban cichlid they are one of my favorite cichlids that u can get they look great fun to watch and really nasty just a reall cichlids personality....

u could try a umbee if u can find them might be expensive but are really a stunning fish.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 08:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
I have yet to see (red terrors,trimacs,umbees,cuban cichlids)

The main ones we get here are Tilapia, green terrors, oscars, jack dempseys, convicts, dovii(occasionally), jags, red devils, midas(very rare) ,texas cichlids. Those are the main ones i find. I once saw some electric blue jack dempseys but they were already sold, and they don't appeal to me much.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
trust me,get the jag pair,YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 07:15Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i think you should also do the jag.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 21:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea the pair will need a up grade to a wider tank sooner than later.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2009 04:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
i disagree,i rekon a 125gal will be fine for a jag pair,but as i said,just them 2 nothing else
oh and 1 other thing,and you probly already know this,unless you can obtain a pair thats alraedy together,dont try to buy just 1 or 2 and hope they will pair up,you have a much better chance of getting say 10 smaller jags,and then let them pair up by them self,then take the rest back to the shop,or they will eventully get picked on or killed.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2009 06:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
very true, by in bulk with the understanding of the lfs employees to return 8 of them
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2009 23:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies