Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKrib Breeding
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
i was reading the profile about kribs on this site. it said to breed them a 10 allon would be fine, is this true?
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 08:05Profile PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
You can breed them in larger sized tanks. Its more of a min size to breed a pair is in a 10 gal. I have bred several different Pelvicachromis species in 10 gals for many years. And never had any problems.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 16:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
Just my experience, but if you can go bigger than a 10 gallon, I would.

First, you'll find that when they breed, you'll get a lot of fry. After a little while the parents will feel their job raising the fry is done, and start to breed again. They will then see the original clutch as a threat and attack them, so unless you've got somewhere to move the babies to they're in for a short life of being relentlessly attacked.

Second, and this is obviously different from Acidrains experience, you won't get much else in there with the kribs. In my opinion, I don't think there is anything else you could put in there with them that isn't going to get attacked constantly. I have heard (and then experienced) that if the parents don't have an outlet for their aggression (ie a threat that they can chase away) they will attack each other. I have a couple of kribs breeding in a 15 gallon, and shortly after the fry are born the parents will turn on each other, and I have to move one of them into another tank. Once the fry have grown up a bit, and when I can see that the female looks rounded and full of eggs again, I put them back in together again and go through the process again.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 23:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Well actually, I don't keep other fish in my breeding tanks, other than maybe a BN pleco for algae control. My show tanks have multiple types of fish and such, but my breeders are always by themselves. With a few exceptions, such as my Syno multis that need my Victorian Haps to mouth brood their young.

As for the difference in experiences, that's what this site is all about, sharing these differences. Personally I have never had a problem with any of the kribs I have bred. However, I have heard of some people that have. Not all situations nor all fish are alike. You never know what might happen with any fish untill you actually have your own experiences.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 19:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
Absolutely!! Totally agree, and I hope my post didn't sound like I was trying to say that I disagreed with you, just wanted to put across another experience. I did some research before buying mine, and came away with the impression that they were great parents with a lot of character (true). After buying them I searched the forums here for kribs and began to think that I had bought vicious killers that would wipe out everything in my tank!! I began to panic, but my experience has been completely different.As you say, I guess you never know with any fish what it's character will be........
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies