L# Krib Fry
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKrib Fry
msvicki
-----
Small Fry
usa
Hello,

Just wanted to share that I have krib fry. I cant believe it...this is my first for an egglayer.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 16:20Profile PM Edit Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
Right on!
Make sure you remove the male. This will help the fry.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 19:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
Well done on the fry!! Kribs are the first fish that I have managed to breed too, the first batch in September - you should start to see regular breeding now, once they've got going.

I don't see any need to remove the male, both parents will look after the fry. Often, one will go off looking for food while the other one guards the fry, and then they swap places. Unless you see the male attacking the fry, I'd leave him be. I have read that moving Kribs can destroy the bond - although I've moved mine with no problems, so I don't know how true that is (apparently more true of other cichlids, in particular Julies) - but why take the risk?

The problem is (in my experience) getting the fry out at the appropriate time. Kribs will be excellent parents, but once the fry have grown up a little and the parents are ready to breed again, the parents will see the fry as a threat to the new spawn and attack them. You'll find that all the fry stick together, never straying far from the parents at first. After a while, they'll start to get a little more daring/inquisitive and all go off a little way on their own. I usually find that a little after this point, the parents start to turn. Depending on the size of your tank, decorations, level of planting etc you'll find that a lot of your fry will find hiding places and avoid their parents wrath. Ideally though you should probably move them to another tank to grow them out, but they'll still be tiny (and in hiding). Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on this - I'm still trying to work it out for myself!!
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 21:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
I'd agree that the male shouldn't need to be moved but choosing the right time to move fry is the tricky bit. I've tried many different methods - from leaving everything alone, removing half the fry as early as poss, and even removing both parents into another 'pen' for a while once the fry have put on a bit of weight. All have had pros and cons so I guess it's 'find your own way' time. If its first time, I'd leave alone and see how many make it through - you should be OK for other broods to try different methods later as kribs are fairly reiable.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 00:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Quote Waldina "After a while, they'll start to get a little more daring/inquisitive and all go off a little way on their own. I usually find that a little after this point, the parents start to turn. Depending on the size of your tank, decorations, level of planting etc you'll find that a lot of your fry will find hiding places and avoid their parents wrath. Ideally though you should probably move them to another tank to grow them out, but they'll still be tiny (and in hiding)."

Good to know so I can be watchful of it.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 09:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies