Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKrib couple falling out?
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
I've had a pair of Kribs for about 7-8 months now and they have just about finished raising their 3rd batch of fry, however I have just started experiencing problems with them. Initially I had the pair in a 29G community tank, where the first 2 batches of fry were born. I suffered heavy losses to the fry though possibly through predation (but I also believe partially through my inexperience in raising fry and not feeding them properly. Wanting to keep more of their offspring I have moved them to a 15G, initially only sharing with 3 Ottos. After, this most recent spawn though the Ottos started getting attacked so I moved them into another tank, so now the Kribs are alone in that tank (the parents plus fry). I soon noticed a change in the parents behaviour though. They started posturing in front of each other, making little darts toward each other, and taking it in turns to be the aggressor - first the male then the female. This has lasted for a couple of weeks, but now the fry are old enough to go off on their own, and don't swarm around the parents, the parents have started fighting. The male just doesn't seem to tolerate the female anymore. I had heard that if the Kribs don't have other fish to take their aggression out on, they may turn on each other. I had been advised in an earlier post that dither fish are not a good idea (and to be fair that size tank would not really support more fish, or another fish big enough to take care of itself). Also, I found it odd that they have become aggressive towards each other at the point when I would have expected them to be courting and considering raising another clutch? Neither of the parents have turned on the fry, so it isn't one protecting the fry from the other parent.

Do you think removing the fry would help them calm down (although I'm a little nervous that they may still be a little small still to all survive in the community tank)? Should I remove the female for a while? Is there any chance that they will still pair off again if the female is then later re-introduced? Anyone with any experience of this?
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 22:42Profile PM Edit Report 
Veteric
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 549
Votes: 7
male canada
raise the fry in a stock bin or what ever if you need to, and remove the more aggressive of the two kribensis to another tank. From there, wait until the female is full of roe again (swollen belly) and re-arrange any and all ornaments in the breeding tank before re-introducing the more dominant fish. Be sure to add said fish during a small feeding, turn the lights out a bit early too. It's better to put up with a bit of tank pollution and do a water change than to leave the light on, which is a bit more risky.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2008 00:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
I'd seperate them. Then rearrange the decor and try again.
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2008 17:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies