SubscribeNew Angelfish
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
Hello all,

Well, after a couple of months I have finally got my 40 gallon hex (22" tall) up and running with the fish I wanted. I have 6 lemon tetras, 6 green cories, and now finally just added a Marble Angelfish yesterday. I have plentiful tall plants and some rocks and all WQ specs are good.

Just curious, my angelfish is kind of timid right now, primarily staying near the surface by the heater. He/she does come out now and then, and has gone for food. Is this a normal adaptation to the tank? He/she is just a baby, maybe around 1 - 1.5 inches. Just want to make sure everything is okay.

Thanks for any input

Brian
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 04:16Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
could just be timid and afraid of all the activity of the other fish. maybe (i am not sure of the room in your tank) get another for it to have a mate (find out its sex thaen get one of the opposite sex or if it is a female get one of the same sex if you dont want spawning.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 04:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks for the quick response!

I actually wanted two, but was not sure If my tank would be big enough for two (40 gallon tall hex really is quite smaller than a 40 long). And reading literature I should be sure they are a tight pair if I only have two, otherwise there could be problems. I think I'll wait a week and see how he does. The tetras and cories are quite active, so I was thinking that could be freaking him out a bit while he adjusts to his new home. I was sure to provide plenty of plant cover for hiding and what not.

Thanks, I was just wondering if this was common with a new angel to a tank. I'll just keep an eye on him and see how he adapts.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 04:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
How did you acclimate them?
The other fish in your tank are not a threat to the angelfish at all. And they are not supposed to be timid.
Do they eat well? Any other sign of stress (breathing fast) or sickness?

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 17:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I acclimated him by floating the bag in the tank. After 5 minutes I added a small amount of tank water, after another 5 minutes I added more tank water to the bag, and then waited 5 more minutes. I then introduced him into the tank. I was thinking since the tetras and cories are actually almost bigger than him right now, it could have been intimidating, but I am just learning.

Actually this morning I fed the fish and he came out of his hiding spot. He was eating everything he could. I watched him for an hour or so, and he was still swimming around the tank. Maybe he is settling in, I will keep an eye on him. Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions on Angels in general are welcome, I am new to the whole thing.

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
As long as it's eating well, just keep an eye on him.
Perhaps he's just taking his time to adapt to the new environment. Is he a dark marbel? They (and the double blacks) tend to grow slower and less robust than the other types.

A 40G hex should not be a problem for two angels with your cories & tetras. But picking a pair at this size is pure luck.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 23:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks Ricky. When I got home tonight, he came right out to me, so I think he is coming around. He just has found a favorite spot to chill in. I did want a pair, but like you said hard to sex them, and I couldn't really get six and see who paired off.

Thanks again
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 00:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Ok, i can't believe nobody has picked up on this.
Angelfish are schooling Cichlids, they will become very shy and timid when kept on their own, keep them in schools of 5 or more....
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 03:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
i'd like to add to the above post from mez - of course we know angels are happiest schooling, but i think many people here would have had (and i have had in the past) single adult specimens who are masters of their tank, colourful, strong, long-lived and fine being alone. i think the issue here is that the fish in question is a baby, and this is his first time out of sight of other angels - he is threatened because his instincts tell him alone = danger. i think there will be no problem once he bonds with his human. i'm not advocating keeping angels alone, i'm just saying this uncertain phase will wear off. but direwolf, you should consider a friend for him.

justin
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 06:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
So, you think it would be better to take the chance that two of them will get along together? I would love to have two, it just seemed like that wasn't good to do. I'll get another one this weekend.

Thanks

Brian
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 17:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Thanks, Mez, I was already under the impression that I am the only one on FP who believes that schooling cichlids should be kept with at least one other of their kind!

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
Agree with jase, adult angelfish, or any established juvenile doesn't need the company of their own to feel safe in a peaceful community tank.

Having two or three angelfish in a 40G hex tank could be tricky when they get matured. Or, if you're lucky, you get a breeding pair.

If you have decided to get another one, be careful at least to match their size. Very often, the growth of the smaller one is inhibited by the larger one.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 04:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks for everyones input. I actually held off on getting another one, just to see how he did over the weekend. He is not hiding anymore and now taking full advantage of the whole tank. He loves to eat, and I am amazed how personable he is. Follows me where ever I am around the tank. I was just worried about two full size Angelfish in that size tank.

Thanks again

Brian
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 15:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
male australia
Direwolf, I am as new to Angels as a babe but I can comment on the experience of my last month since getting them.

I started off with two juveniles who settled in quickly and got on well with each other. I noticed a major bond between the Angel and humans compared to say tetras.(I and others in my family feed them) . Unfortunately one of them died for no apparent reason (post on here about it somewhere). I was expecting the remaining one to get lonesome but I think it had enough interaction with us (while the other was alive) that its ok now.

The original Idea was to keep the Angels in this smaller tank till I got the bigger one up and running, which happened much sooner than I thought. I ended with two other (much older)Angels (the ones now breeding, other post) No real history on them tho So the smaller one is still in the smaller tank by itself. Anyway once again they quickly warmed to human interaction, but were a bit timid at eating time for a day or so. They seem to prefer me hand feeding them When I introduce a new food, like blackworms the other day, they were the first I offered them too and the last to finally take the plunge and gobble. Unlike the kribs who have no insecurity at all

A number of times tho they have shown me that they are quite capable of muscling in and taking what they figure is theirs if they and when they feel like it. I have no qualms about them any more.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
male australia
really, direwolf, the answer is easy - GET A BIGGER TANK!!! you know you want to. then buy a small group of angels same size as your fella, let them pair off, trade the remainder back to your fishshop, and bob's your uncle! an elegant breeding pair.

(i've just established a breeding pair for my 6footer - they are currently guarding about 100 free-swimming fry and they ROCK!)
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 09:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks mews for the reassurance. It seems he is doing great now. I have not seen him go back to his hiding place by the heater for a few days, and at feeding time, he is now the first one to the surface, fighting off all the crazy tetras. He seems to be doing very well.

And jase, yes I would love to get a bigger tank, but money and space right now just won't allow it. Sometime down the road I'll have something over 100g.

Thanks again

B
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 17:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
direwolf
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Hey there, just an update on the Angelfish. This guy is doing great and he is incredible. He seems totally comfortable now, and is out and about all the time. I have heard about Angelfish doing little dances for food. And what do you know, everytime I come up to the tank there he is dancing for me. Pretty sweet, really a great fish. Thanks for all your help, just a newbie that was worrying a bit.

-B
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 05:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
male australia
it's good to worry - we must be responsible for the health and well-being of our pets. glad to hear the little fella is doing well.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 08:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies