AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# New Fishies - The Wait Is Over :)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Fishies - The Wait Is Over :)
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Heya

I've been after Laetacara dorsigeras 'red-breast acara' since december.

Luckily I discovered someone that had some but no hatch as of yet. I was told if they spawned I'd get dibs on the fry, then bonus, found out she was in the fish club I had just joined. Shortly after, they had a successful hatch and I started losing sleep while counting 'sheep'
one laetacara, 2 laetacara, 3 laetacara....

I came home from the meet tonight with 6 juvies and they're acclimating right now They're about an inch in size and hyper raring to get out of the bag to cause MASS AMAZONIC-STYLE TURMOIL....

Also a microworm culture for the next ram spawn. This is my first live food culture. Between the gb rams spawing, 6 new juvies to raise and food culture I'm in unfamiliar new territory but should be a fun challenge !
(this is a far cry from the feeding crushed flake to guppy days lol)

So much for studying tonight lol. D'OH !!!

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 06:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
Awesome! good luck. what fish do you have in there and are there any photos on the site somewhere?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 06:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Split your microworm into a couple of cultures, then if one goes bad, you always have another. I currently have 5 chinese plastic food type containers with lids. There are millions of the little things climbing up the sides.
I use baby cerial as my culture. When it gets a bit runny after the worms have been eating a few weeks, I just sprinkle in some more cerial at both ends.

Good luck with your, are they cichlids, yes?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 09:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
Thx Fandan

In the 40g atm is 6 Laetacara dorsigera, 2 german blue rams, bn pleco, 1 platy.

If you click on my profile goto the shots near the end that'll be most recent. Still to get pics of the dorsigs I didn't want to disturb them too much last night.

Hi Brengun
Luckily no-one else at the fish club meet last night needed Bev's microworms, so she gave me a 2nd culture The lady with the dorsigs SO generous. Wouldn't take my money for the fish or microworms, but she gets dibs on ram juvies and endlers in the near future. I'll give some plants too.

What kinda baby food ? What kinda cereal ? How much do you put in ? Do you seal the container tight or leave a bit loose for air or punch any holes in the lid ?
ROFL sorry.

This morning's feeding went well, competition was there between the dorsigs and the rams, the male ram chased the juvies away a few times, they're almost as big as him. Wait until they're 4 times his size LOL. It was fascinating to watch them all interact. Need to work out a breeding tank for the rams now.

Juvie laetacaras are really cute fish, with them and the rams I'm a very happy camper

Yup, they're south american dwarf cichlids

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 14:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Iuse farex from 6mths cerial. Its a white flakey stuff to which you just add water. Comes in a small box and you are going to have to visit the baby foods aisle in the supermarket.

I got a large needle and put holes in the lid. Not too big as the worms might get out. With the contain sealed, except for tiny airholes, you get a condensation happening on the walls inside. This makes it very easy to scrap your finger or a small brush along the sides to collect worm.
I use the fairly clear plastic containers so I can see the worms collecting onthe sides.

After many weeks, eventually the mix is going to get a strong vinegar smell. Then you save a bit of the culture and start a new batch from it.

Sometimes my worms will not collect along the sides, so I place the container near a window so I can see the rippling of the worms from the top side, and I get an eyedropper to collect them.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 01:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
Some various new pics.

Hope you enjoy !
DFM

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 06:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies