L# Cichlid Central
  L# Oscars Spawning!!!!!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOscars Spawning!!!!!!!
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
Hey my albinos have recently spawned on a tiny little flat ROCK!!!!!!!!! It's really exciting for me because this is my first oscar pair that can actually BREEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!

Ok..... I was just wondering what I should do because i dont have a clue

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 03:06Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
oh and also i have a pair of texas definetely boy and girl but they dont like eachother for some reason maybe he teased her or something i dont know lol. But i was wondering how i could get them "closer".

p.s sorry bout askin so many questions but i need ur help guys!!

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 03:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
you need a large out grow tank (like 100g...) and a bunch of frozen brine shrimp and dapnia... and you will need to buy worm cultures and small cichlid pellets... and personally unless you have like 500$ to spend on raising them.. i would detroy a lot of the eggs... it is really expensive to raise oscar fry as it takes a lot of time... money (on food) and water changes and over grow tank... it is way costly... not to mention if you want to sell them you will only get like 3$ a pop on fry about 3or4 inches long... and saying you sell them for that and raise 50 sucessful fry... you will spend more than that on food for a week... or nearly that much...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 03:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 29-Jan-2008 13:11
This post has been deleted
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
ok i can tell u have had bad experiences with these before... but im not gonna spend 500$ on these things. Im just gonna give em crushed pellets and they are in a 1200L tank so..... yeah i just need to know how to stop the parents from eating the fry mr grumpy

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 13:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 29-Jan-2008 13:12
This post has been deleted
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
I think it's really cool, you now have a breeding pair
of albino oscars ! CONGRATULATIONS !!

My immediate concern would be for the safety of the eggs and improve the chances of some fry making it.
I'd leave the tank light on to help the oscars defend them.
Are the oscars fanning and tending to them ?

What else is in the tank ? How large is your tank ?
If there are tankmates, you might want to shift some fish, or dedicate a fry tank. Does your filter intake have a pre-filter over it ? You could use a piece of filter sponge for that.

Crushed pellets won't provide oscars with all they need
for proper fry growth. They're carnivorous and require protein, the majority of pellets are heat processed, protein level not high enough, and loses most of it's original nutrition. 'You are what you eat' is especially important with fry. Don't be intimidated though. If you want to keep it very simple the first spawn, you could try non-live foods not reuiring much fuss/mess/work. Golden Pearls, Cyclop eeze, Liquifry for egglayers, even add some cooked and broken up egg yolk. Water changes will also be important, daily if in a small tank, and any leftover food siphoned out.

Then start researching live foods. Even a moss and snail tank would provide fry with live infusoria between feedings. Infusoria, greenwater, vinegar eels,walter worms or microworms, baby brime shrimp are things to start looking into. (google)

Keep us posted !

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 16:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
well i havent had bad experience, but i have a male oscar that is showing signs of "wanting" to spawn... i inquired and was turned off by longhariedgit who told me that they are expensive to raise and don not reap much reward... also a large batch of fry cannot be sold to one LFS so you must find several to sel to. might i suggest allowing most of the eggs to be eaten or destroyed and to raise just a few at a time to help you come into grasp of what you are trying... a good spawning pair will spawn again soon so do not be afraid... also if the parents eat the eggs do not be afraid as in nature they willeat any eggs that do not show promise... in other words they will eat deformed, bad, and infertile eggs... you might want to look at www.aquabid.com to find live food cultures... also look at your LFS to see if any live foods are available... brine shrimp, daphnia, vinegar eels, glass or balck worms are all good fry foods but are best when live... as they are baby hunters...

good luck and keep us posted on you descicions and the fry updates (ahould you decide to raise them...)

500$ is a bit of an exaggeration, but if ytou want to raise them the most proper and healthful way it could easily cost that much...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2008 03:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
Hey guys thanks for the help the eggs have now hatched and they are doing great there are around 400 of the little guys they seem to be eating what the mother chews up and regurgitates they are making good parents so far and the funny thing about it is that the tigers on the other side of the divider have recently laid aswell!!!! They keep eachother busy by attacking eachother through the divider its really funny watching the tigers fight because they try and get a run up before attacking LOL! Again thanks fellas for all your help and i hope u all have success like i recently have

P.S Photos conming soon

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 08:47Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Just wanted to pop in to say congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see those photos!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 22:53Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Congrats and good luck with the fry

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 05:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Congratulations & hope to see some pictures as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 01:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies