SubscribeRams and caves
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
I want to get either blue rams or bolivians for my 38 gallon tank eventually. Do these fish need a lot of caves? If they do...whats a good way to build caves? I don't really want to do the PVC covered in gravel thing if I can help it. Tankmates will be platies, black neons, cory cats and a BN.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 08:28Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Technically they dont really need caves as long as there is cover of some sort. Most rams quite gladly spend much of their time out in the open, I have quite a few blue german and bolivian rams, and I havent seen one use a cave yet. Unless youre trying to breed them its not really a worry, and even then its still not usually a big worry . A bogwood arch or two is usually perfectly sufficient.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 09:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Alb
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
Votes: 0
canada
Totally agree with Longhair.
My two Rams have plenty of cover but are at ease out in the open knowing cover is close.

As for cave builbing......layers of slate with gaps or angleing them against one other.

goodluck
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
In my years of keeping many bolivian rams and a couple blues, I have not found either of these fish to use caves at all. They greatly prefer areas that are heavily planted or driftwood to hang around in. Mainly they stay in the open areas anyway.
For caves, I used slate. I just broke it into peices and stacked it up in the back corner of my tank. 2 side peices 1 top peice, and I went 5 levels high.
That was for my loaches and plecos though, not for my rams.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 21:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
I've used layers of slate piled on one another, piles of rocks (bigger rocks make bigger caves), or flower pots - turn them on their side and bury one side under the gravel.

As mentioned above though, really though you're fish are generally more interested in having cover rather than it specifically being a cave. In one tank, I have a patch of grass which leans up against the tank side. Quite a few fish treat that as a 'cave' getting between the glass and the 'wall' of grass.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies