Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStarting over
Johnny the Oranda
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 237
Votes: 82
male usa
I want to get a mix o fish that only get to medium size to fill my 75 gallon. Any suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2008 15:58Profile PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
A 75 is a great size tank for almost any use.

As for your question, well what do you consider to be medium size? 3-4 inches? 5-6 inches?

And are you looking for any prefered location or country?

Also, what is your set up in the 75 gal tank? Is it planted, lots of large or small rocks, kind of substrate, etc.?

What are your water parameters that you will be putting in the 75 gal, like ph, hardness etc? If unknown, then are you going to be using your tap water, or RO water, etc?

All of these question should be answered to help in your quest for some nice fish.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2008 22:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
I will push the boat out and suggest a single Jaguar Cichlid.
Edit, what about Geophagus braziliensis?
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2008 23:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well im into more of the predtors so some cool amazon leaf fish and some african butterfly fish and some bichirs or some false gars they are really fun fish to have all predtors are fun to have IMO and its fun to watch them hunt and eat feeders that u grow on ur own cuz the pet store ones arnt to good for the fish with all the desess u know.
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 04:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cherrybarb
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 64
Votes: 10
male usa
I vote Lake Malawi biotope! Great colors, you wont regret!
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 18:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
Personally, I like the SA types. I would go with a sand bottom, and some eartheaters, like Gymnogeophagus. If you live close to Ohio, I currently am breeding Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus “Fayle Muerto” F1 from Spencer Jack's wild ones featured in TFH and in Cichlid News. As well, Gymnogeophagus meridionalis ‘Oeste’ Eastern Uruguay Wild, Gymnogeophagus geayi F1, Gymnogeophagus sp caroni wild.

Use lots of drift wood, some plants attached to the drift wood, and a few BN plecos. A great active tank!

Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 23:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
And add some Montezuma Swords to the mix as well, for the upper areas.

Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2008 14:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
thats a pretty good tank size for cichlids. (i'm assuming you would like cichlids because you posted on the cichlid page)

you could go 2 ways with this tank. you could either get one or two large aggressive south or central american cichlids. i like these because they're smart, aggressive, and interactive. They also will eat other fish which is preeeetty cool. they're very impressive. (oscars, jack dempsey, green terror, midas, red devil, jaguar, just to name a few)
or you could go for an african cichlid community set up. there are many different colorful fish to choose from in this category. you will need yo find a way to keep the water pH at around 8. you could choose to either take fish from one lake/region, or you could just choose the ones that you like the most. a word of warning, some of these fish are pretty aggressive even though they aren't as big as SA cichlids. also many aquarium owners make the mistake of overstocking these fish because they are so colorful. try to avoid this.

either set up is great and you'll love it.

PS-(i usually do one large south american cichlid)
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2008 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies