Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank mate for a jack dempsey
oooodkoooo
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 35
Votes: 6
male usa
My mother gave me a call the other day and wanted to know what type of algae cleaning fish she could put in with her jack Dempsey (about 7 in long). In a 29 gallon, its tank mate was a foot long pleco but it passed away after living in the tank for a good 15 years. I'm worried that anything too small the Jack will try to eat and anything too large it will try to kill. It tired its best to harass the 12 inch pleco. The best thing i could come up with (besides adding nothing) was a clown pleco. Any suggestions?

Non-conformity:
Are you the Sheep or the Guitar Playing Sheep?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 23:26Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
Nothing. The Dempsey alone is already too big for that tank, and Plecos (aside from a few) all get too big for that tank and produce a ton of waste. The Dempsey really needs to be moved into a bigger tank. If she moves the Dempsey then you could add a Bristlenose Pleco, they max out at about 4 inches, love algae, (depending on the type) and are peaceful. She would have to move the Dempsey before adding the Bristlenose though. Hope this helps.

P.S. I don't think Clown Plecos really eat that much algae, but I could be wrong.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 02:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
i would not put nothing else in that tank it is too small,i have a 29 gal,and even the jd by itself is too small,it will outgrow that tank quicklyand if something was put in there,it would be harrased due to lack of teritory i think
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 07:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
JD needs a 55g tank for starters. Sure the poster isnt going to listen to this due to the fish living content so far with a pleco. Atleast now I can I say I tried.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 22:32Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
dk, call your mother and tell her to trade her fish in at her lfs and get some nice peaceful fish that are suited for that tank as a 7in JD certainly is not. I feel bad about keeping my 8in green terror in my 125g.

chris
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 06:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Hmm.

IMO, a JD can be kept in a 29 gallon tank alone, as long as it is given plenty of attention. Keep the tank clean, do frequent waterchanges, and give the JD plenty of stimulating things to do (ping pong balls, etc... and actually interact with the fish). He'll be alright, and should live a full life, but probably won't be too happy... the poor thing is living alone in a small tank!

I'd strongly suggest moving the fish to a bigger tank, but it's your (or your mom's) choice. For the time being, an apple snail or something of that sort will probably help with the algae. Malaysian trumpet snails would probably help, too, but won't do as good of a job (at least they won't get murdered by the JD, tho)...
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 07:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oooodkoooo
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 35
Votes: 6
male usa
well thanks for the replies, its not my tank so not my choice to have that set up. I've tried to push the 55 gallon BEFORE i posted this (lets not be judgmental). In the end adding nothing will be the way it stays. Heh, I like the ping pong ball idea. He usually just digs holes in the gravel and scoots around a fake turtle.

Thanks,
Drew

Non-conformity:
Are you the Sheep or the Guitar Playing Sheep?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 11:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
your mom must have a nice JD. Mine just hit 5" in my 125 and started killing off my giant danio's and tiger barbs, all of which have live through a texas an oscar and my 8" Green Terror. Little guy looks good but I tore the tank down today and took him out. Hope your mothers stays nice.

chris
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 08:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
Ummm, isn't that what they do..? Yes, my jack has destroyed everything she was in with. Just being a fish if you asked me. Anyways, not to hijack your thread or anything but what do you feed your jacks? woud he go for something like frozen blodworms?
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 11:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies