Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank mates for Firemouths
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
Hi everyone. I have just recently set up the 29 gal I bought a few weeks ago and I know I would like to put Firemouth cichlids in it. I was thinking about putting 2 in there and was wondering what else I could put with them besides a small pleco. I'll probably go with a candy striped pleco. I'd really like to put a few different cichlids in there but don't know if my tank is big enough to support more fish. I may have to do a Firemouth only tank. If that is the case, how many could I keep?
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2006 23:19Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
IMO none. Firemouths will get between 6-7" and a 29 gallon just does not have the area necessary to hold this fish comfortably. If you are still going to do so I would say just 1 fish.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 02:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I have bred Firemouths in a 30 gallon before but what OldTimer is saying is true at the same time. Male firemouths can be pretty mean, so if you want to two in your tank I would diffentaly go with two females. Did you give any thought about any other smaller species of cichlids or africans?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 03:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 671
Votes: 65
female usa
IMO the firemouth cichlid would not be a great choce for that size tank let alone two. They (male and female but male especially) get very aggressive as they get older. They will harrass everything in the tank to the point of death in a lot of cases. I have mine which is around 7 inches now and it harasses everything but the royal plec who won't take it. IMO a firemouth should be in a tank no less than 55g at a minimum. I cannot give you an opinion for other suitable tank mates in that size aquarium. Though if it were a bigger tank I would say some type of pleco... the firemouth hangs around the bottom so anything that is a mid to upper level swimmer might be okay as long as it can't fit in it's mouth.

Here is a pic of it "flaring" and/or harrassing a severum who is almost twice it's size and this is was when it wasn't even full grown...
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 15:00Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
That is a very beautiful firemouth jamie. I would not want to cramp my fish so maybe I won't do firemouths. Could you guys and gals recommend a small south american cichlid that is easy to find in pet stores and would be comfortable in a 29 gal aquarium?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 18:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Convicts, Angels, Rams, Rainbows, Pike cichlid ( only one though ), Keyhole cichlids theres most likey more that can go in a 29 gallon.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
EditedEdited by clownygirl
I would say 1 male jewel and 1 male convict and maybe a small pleco or a striped raphael cat. I have them together in my tank and they are both equally mean to each other.

If you like cichlids that are smaller and with a milder temperament, you could do keyholes or rams. Rams are one of my favourites, but very fragile, and I found them a little difficult to take care of.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/clownygirl/Black%20Convict/Convict1.jpg
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 07:08Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies