Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTankmates for Cherry Zebras
Cowch
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 29
Votes: 0
male usa
I have two cherry Zebras in a 20 long. There are lots of caves and hiding places, as well as quite a few fake plants.

The problem is that my cichlids spend lots of time hiding, and that is fine, it makes it more rewarding to see them. But I would like to add a small school of something else. Is there a small tetra or anything else that will be happy with these cichlids and be interesting to watch? Or would adding a few more cherries by reasonable?
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 19:48Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

"Cherry Zebra" doesn't tell me a lot. That's the problem with common names - they could be applied to just about anything without any systematic reasoning behind the application of the name.

If you have a scientific name for these fishes, then so much the better.

However, if as I suspect your fishes are a colour morph of Metriaclima zebra, chances are they will start showing themselves in time regardless of what else you put in with them, because they are a fairly feisty fish once mature. I'd consider moving them to larger quarters ASAP because once they mature, they'll need the space. Not least because Metriaclima zebra produce a fair few fry once they start breeding.

In a 20, a pair of Metriaclima zebra is your stocking limit. Apart from size, and these fishes will become pretty chunky in due course, once maturity kicks in, they will be fairly intolerant of other fishes. Which is why they're usually found in proper Mbuna setups of 55 gallons and larger - preferably 90 gallons and up if they're to be kept with other Mbuna.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 01:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
If you mean Red Zebra, then I agree with Cali, you should not add anything to the tank. Really, I think you should upgrade the tank because these guys get a good 5-6 inches, which I think is too big for that size tank. A 40g would be much better for them, and you could possibly add something else to the tank then.

Do you have a picture of them?

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cowch
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 29
Votes: 0
male usa
Here are some pictures.

http://www.people.iup.edu/skpl/fishpics.html

They are pretty fuzzy. This was my first try taking pictures.
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 05:19Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
They definitely look like Red Zebras, Metriaclima estherae. They are African cichlids that get about 5 inches. They should be ok in the 20 long for a little while, but really should have a bigger tank long term. They like a high pH and hard water. They are rock dwellers, so should have alot of rock in the tank.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1730

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies