Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTrimac/flowerhorns
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
Has anyone seen any of these in canada? I can't seem to find them. My father would like to get one, and i've been looking for them with no luck.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 06:27Profile PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
as far as i know,both flowerhorns and trimacs are easy to get,and shipped world wide.even more so with flowerhorns...
have you tryed all the fish shops around your area,and the fish shops out of your area!
also hit the phone,makes some calls and see how that goes,then hit the internet,there tons of places that will ship fish.i just spent over a month looking for multis,i kept on looking and eventully i found them.
so just keep looking mate,im sure with a bit more persistance you will find them.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 15:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Try talking to any of the fish stores in the area, they are likely able to order one in for you, if not a whole tank full of them. LFSes often shy away from fish that they don't know people would buy.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
if u want a high grade flower horn its gona cost u a lot of money i seen 4 inchers go for $160 USD...... The most expensive Flower horn ever sold is called big splash and cost $600,000 USD i want to find the link i got it from a friend not to long ago so i can post it here. if ur looking for a low grade flower horn or a nice trimeac most stores got them in for a cheap price under $15 USD.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 22:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Thanks guys i tried a one store last night before they closed with no luck ill look again tommorow.

What makes a flowerhorn high grade ne ways? I heard the green ones are expensive but is there ne thing else they look at?

600,000 ? is that a typo?

What the difference in temperments between flowerhorn and trimac. I know the flowerhorn gets to 14" and trimac 12"
Also these fish are solitary so i guess it doesn't matter about size my father has a 150gal so that would be fine. Do these things kill catfish/plecos ? Are flowerhorns hybrids?
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Probably not a typo. They were very big in asia, and dominated the fish market.
For the good of the hobby, i urge you to find a good trimac and not a LouHan (flowehorn).
Jeff Wrapps (tangledupincichlids.com) normally has real nice ones, and often ones of good sizes, and ships too.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
na that wouldnt be a type 0,as mez said,these fellas can fetch BIG BUCKS.
the higher grade flowerhorns,are alot more better looking,more vibrant colours,they get to a bigger size,the males get the hump much earlyer too,the parents are often show quality,thus produce the high grade babies!
99% of the high grade fhs,are imported from asia,china and a few other smaller places.
they have high grade fhs at my lfs,and these fellas are truely awesome fish,extremly aggresive,they already have there own tanks,they are only 3-4 inches long and already have the humpbut they are $350 firm!
now between a trimac and a flowerhorn,im my opp,flowerhorns are more aggressive,alot more.
most of the trimacs i had,i was able to mix them with other cichlids,they did tyranize the other fish,but the damage was seldom.
when the triamcs spawned,they got VERY NASTY,but this is to be expected.so untill they were finished,i used my divider,just to keep them away from there tankmates!
now the flowerhorns in my opp,9 times out of 10,ive ended up giving the flowerhorns there own tank,when they are smaller you MITE be able to mix them,depending on the flowerhorn you have.
but most of them are just straight up nasty.even if you are able to mix a fh with other fish,consider it a time bomb,just waiting to go boom.
i fell into that trap and when against good info,and it happened while i was at work,after 2 years my female fh just got it into her head,that she wanted the whole tank and started killing them off 1 by 1.
i think there was 3 fish left alive when i got home.
so i recomend to just give them there own tank.
i cannot tell you enuff just how bad these fish can be,make sure you know what your taking on b4 you get a flowerhorn.
as for your dads 150gal,if you just want ether 1 fh or 1 trimac,this tank will be ok.
as for the plecos/catfish,i kept them with the trimacs with no problems(execpt for spawning time,but its normall)!
but as for the flowerhorns with catfish/plecos,no i didnt have any luck!
after i put a 34cm common pleco in with my 13cm flowerhorn(not big for a fh)i gave the pleco PLENTY of hiding places,but i found it 2 days later,with both of it eyes torn out.
so after that,the only time i even bother trying to mix fh,is if im breeding them,and thats normally throo a divider.
yes flowerhorns are a hybrid,this is the reason so many people frown upon them.
unless your willing to spend at least $300-$800,most of the fh your local fish shops will have,will be a lower grade flowerhorn!
if you know what your doing,and want a great wetpet,flowerhorns are great,but if you would like something a bit more nimble,id go for the trimac!
trimacs can be nasty too,i had to breed them throo my divider a few times,but as i said,the fh is much worse!
hope this helps.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 06:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Ty very much for that. Ya it did, i just love the red colors in the flowerhorn red/green head. I have seen red texas cichlids aswell which look neat and they run $100.00 here in canada, but he originally wanted a trimac but i went to more lfs today and nothing came up not even on there order lists.

So if he considered a tankmate for the trimac in the 150gallon what would you reccomend cichlid wise?
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 19:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Nothing at all.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
just let the trimac have the tank,its full!anymore ciclids in there,they will just end up tearing into each other.
MAYBE,you could try a female trimac.,but if the pair is not compatable,they will be constanly fighting.
get yourself a male trimac and let him have the whole tank.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies