RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
Hello,

I have had a bolivian ram for the last 8 months or so and I want to get a mate for it but first I must figure out the sex of this little beauty.

When I got it it was quite small (probably and inch) and it has now grown to about 3 inches (more or less). I dont see much of an ovipositor, the top part of the caudal fin has recently began to extend out, the dorsal fin does not have a long extension like the caudal but is pointy, the fin edges are a deep red, the spot is black, not faded.

Its temperment is VERY peaceful, she never chases off any of the other fish, and doesnt seem to have a distinct territory, just roaming all throughout the bottom of the tank.

I had another one a few months ago but lost it whenever I had my chilodonella outbreak. Back then, the current ram inhabited the right side of the tank while the one that is now deceased would gaurd the left side. That makes me think they were both males.

I can try to get a decent pic but I wont promise anything.

Thanks for the help!
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 04:06Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
if you have room, try getting a group and allow them to pair up.

thats what most angelfish breeders do, and it works. and the best part is, then you have extra rams later for a different tank
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 15:59Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Yeah, try for the pic and someone should be able to sex it. Fin extensions are telling if they're extremely long, but I just look for the breeding tubes. It's easier if you have more than one ram in a tank for comparison, but still shouldn't be a problem.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 16:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
I will try to get a pic once I get back from NYC, which is when I will be out looking for a pair for this one. The problem is, I dont know what a male breeding tube should look like and what a females should look like. Mine has now just begun showing signs of aggression towards everyone during feeding time. Maybe a sign of a male?

I will get that pic when I get back!
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 06:59Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies