L# Cichlid Central
  L# What type of acara is this ?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat type of acara is this ?
cichlidgirl
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Hi, got these acaras as a rescues. Im a bit confused as to which variant they are. I have four of them 3 have a red tinge to their tails and one has a yellow tinge on its tail. THe red tailed ones follow the yellow tailed one around like its a female and the red tailed ones flare fins at eachother and show off for the yellow tailed one. Im not sure if the yellow tailed one just has not developed the red coloration yet, they are very small , just reaching 2-3 inches now. They are also developing blue on their ventral fins, a solid sky blue ventral fins and a bit of blue pearling on other fins but none on the body. Here is a couple pics of them.

Here it is with washed out colors when i first brought it home. It now is always much darker,
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 13:12Profile PM Edit Report 
cichlidgirl
Small Fry
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 13:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
IMO that is an Aequidens portalegrensis. Or the Portal Aequidens as it is more commonly known. They are one of the more common Aequidens in the US for sale. Very easily bred, and will breed in most water parameters. They are great parents as well. I have personally spawned this species several times. They are a great fish to keep. Though they can hold their own with most other fish, they are not as aggressive as most other SA/CA cichlids are, and can be kept with many other types of fish.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 18:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidgirl
Small Fry
I agree about the port cichlid, that was the species i figured it was but couldnt find mention of the red tails so wasnt sure. Did yours have wine colored tails like mine ? i think its odd that there was no mention of this red wine colored tail, that would have been mentioned somewhere i would have thought anyway in descriptions... Thanks for the quick response.
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 19:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Yep, they had the red tails, and some red on their dorsal and anal fins as well. They become more colorful as they become more mature and larger. Most pics you see are not of full size fish. And usually not in breeding color.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2008 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
EditedEdited by cichlidaddicted
They might not be fully-grown yet, but IMO they are still beautiful fish. A know a lot of people dislike port acaras they arent quite as colorful as their more aggressive counterparts, but theres just something about them that really grabs my attention.

Ive been looking for one for years now, despite being "common", and the one time i actually found one at an LFS, i immediately went to an employee to take him out, but when i came back to the tank, he was stuck to the filter

But anyway, good luck with your new cichlids, and i congratulate you for rescuing such amazing fish

EDIT: Oh, and the reason why you cant post pics is because you have to be a premium member to do so.
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2008 03:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
yeah i aggree,i dont have port acaras anymore,but the last blue port acara i had,he was awesome,he was the center piece of a 55 gallon,and he was that calm and gental,that he was in with small clown loaches,asorted tetras,silver dollars,a fair few other gental fish,and he NEVER caused any dramas,never tryed to eat his tank mates,as long as he could live in his cave,and get his tucker he was happy!yeah a reall nice gentall fish..he also used to take food from my fingers,this did take some time,he was a bit shy at first,but once he ate from my hand that first time,boom after that,he new it was MEAL TIME.
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2008 06:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidgirl
Small Fry
Thank you all very much.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 11:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies