Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhy Do They Spit Them.....
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
hey guys,as some of you mite remember my blue acara pair being extremly prolific when it came to breeding,well once AGAIN they have had ANOTHER batch,hatched em,and are now looking after them,well ive noticed this time around they keep on grabbing the fry in there mouth and are spitting them into the complex root system of my anubias plant on driftwood,it actully looks really cool,all these babies gathered around this big plant,they never done this b4,but they did change there spawn site,so my question is why are they doing this,is it for food or protection from there tank mates?the fry seem to like swimming throo all the roots.so any ideas.i was thinkin maybe its beacuae of the large clown loach i added,this is the first batch since he was put in with em
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 09:06Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well yea its cuz the other fish in the tank and they just dont want any of there babies to get hurt u got really really good pearnts there they are really good fish! my blue acaras kinda didnt watch there babys and they all got eatin but thats wat i wanted so thats the good part!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 09:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah i was thinkin something like that,i love my ba
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 09:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
My guess is that aside from keeping them coralled for safety, they will also move fry to where tiny microfood colonies are thickest, its a bit like sheep herding on the small scale.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 23:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah ive gotta hand it to my ba when it comes to rasing fry,these guys parenting skills are just off the scale,man they are great parents,i watched them gather every last fry up and put them back into the log where they hatched em,and i bet they take them back over to the anubias plant again 2morro,they have been doing this since the fry where free swimming,its like they know 10 minutes b4 the timer on the lights go off and switches the lights out,this is when they move the fry into the log,and when the lights come on in the morn they get em back out again!it just STILL amazes me watching this time and time again after all these years.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 15:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Yep, most fish that are good parents will do this all the time.

But lol, when I first started to read your post, I thought you might have gotten some of the new mouth brooding Acaras. I just got a small group of 6 of them and can't wait to grow them up and see how they do.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
lol,im watching them now,still tending to the babiesthere also a very good pair too,never any lovers tiffs with these 2...lol
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 08:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies