L# Working on CA/SA 55 gal
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWorking on CA/SA 55 gal
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
Well, I've decided to play with the stocking on my 55 yet again and make it a cichlid only tank. I'm going to upgrade to a 90 'someday' but for now lets pretend its just a 55. Here are some fish I am considering, in any combination:

Rainbow cichlid (I already have 4)
Convict cichlid
Honduran red point
Blue Acara
Green Terror
Jack Dempsey

Definetely open to any other recommendations. Everyone who has kept new world cichlids has kept these it seems, it might be fun to have something more unique. These are just the types most common in this area, I don't want to mail order this time of year, too cold. DH's top priority is a 'pretty' fish: big, bright, sparkly, great color, flashy. I like that too but really want great attitude and personality.

Just so you know, I wouldn't mind going African (I think DH would like the bright, busy tank). Only thing is that mbuna juvies around here are sold all mixed together as 'Assorted Africans' so I might not have good luck finding what I want. Its kinda luck of the draw, 'what's in this weeks batch?'.

Anyway, here's a possible stock list I was thinking of, with NO breeding pairs:
2 -convict
2 -rainbow
1 -blue acara or dempsey

I'd actually like to leave all four rainbows in there, they are small cichlids, but that's not too important.

Another thing to keep in mind: If I decide to go African, I will have to get rid of my rainbows and I don't want to do that. I suppose they might be able to go in with the africans (which is blasphemy, I know) if everyone could get along and be healthy but that's not ideal of course.

Anyway, I'm just playing with ideas right now. Appreciate any input!
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2009 21:04Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ummmmmmmmmmm just to let u know if u have a male and a female con in any tank they will breed...... so u will need 2 males or 2 females. i dont really know much about rainbow cichlids but it might be the same way...... i would personaly go witha a JD because it shows the best color and can hold its own.... The main reason i say the JD shows the best color is because blue acaras females dont got nice color but males need to be breeding to look good....... if u got a lot of money u could get a super red texas cichlid thats around $250+ for a nice one.
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2009 22:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
Yes, I know not to mix male and female cons. I've had the rainbows for about a year, so pretty sure they're all male or else just not going to pair up. They're great looking fish and don't cause any trouble(except for plant murdering). I was wondering about the acara, that's good to know. I just saw some juvies at the LFS and thought they looked good so included them as a possibility. Don't Texas get pretty big? I'm looking at med/large cichlids, not tank busters.
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2009 22:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well kinda and i can already tell mine and your idea of tank busters are no where near the same........ just to let u know tank busters are 30 inches+ for me so yea a 10 inch fish isnt a tank buster for me and i think a 10 inch fish in a 12 inch wide tank isnt really that crule at all....... i think but they also are pretty aggressive and might fight with the rainbows and cons and i kno the cons can hold there own but being never have owned rainbows i cant say for thos........ i think i made a huge list of cichlids in another thread of wat ur options ill post it up here after i find it.......
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2009 02:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 01-Apr-2009 02:15
This post has been deleted
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
EditedEdited by riri1
all right so just go to my profile and click on view riri1's past threads and its called stocking suggestions. its close to the bottem.....
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2009 02:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies