Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribewhat size tank is needed for a Cichlid
DwarfGourami
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 6
female usa
What size tank do you need to have cichlids. and if i had a 10g how many can go in a 10g and so on?
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 23:39Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
It totally depends on what kind of cichlid you are getting as to what the tank size needs to be.

If you are looking for some suggestions for cichlids for a 10g, here are some:
*Apistogrammas (there are many types) (1 pair)
*German Blue Rams (1 pair)
*Bolivian Rams (1 pair)
*Kribensis (1 pair)

Is there anything else in the tank? I think all the fish mentioned above should have a 10g by themselves. But thats my opinion.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 23:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DwarfGourami
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 6
female usa
Well I dont know what kind they are but its my sister thats wants to make a cichlid tank, all i do know is that they are told at walmart and the lable says there are afican cichlids they are many colors there mostly yellows with stripes, I told here that a 10g is to small and if she did put them in a tank that small get 2 and thats all you could proably put in there for a small tank like that,

Am I right about this?
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 00:08Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
I would suggest that you write down all the kinds they have at your LFS and then go from there. A 10 gallon is a bit small for cichlids in my opnion but it could happen

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 00:47Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

DwarfGourami- I know where you're coming from! My walmart also has the same fish with the same label. All it says is African Cichilds & none are named specifically & they are all in the same 10g tank. I have had experience with these fish & they are very aggressive especially in that small of a tank cause they get quite a bit bigger & will fight over the territory probably like mine did, till one died.

Two of the species you are talking about is Melanochromis & Pseudotropheus. If you check out the site "Age of Aquariums" you will see these fish there & read what people say about them that have them. There are much better choices of fish such as Girlie Girl suggested for that size tank.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
of the "African cichlids" sold in walmart,
many are species that grow very large,
or are highly aggressive.
10 gallons is nowhere near big enough.
Minimum size tank for any of these fish would be
55-75 gallons.

For a 10g tank, why not go with a German Blue Ram
and a group of 5-6 neons or lemon or ember tetras.
Thatd look great.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 01:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Like stated above, Africans are aggressive and grow pretty big depending on the specific type. Also when buying from a mixed African tank, you don't know what you are getting unless you can ID them. Some Africans are more aggressive than others. A 55g tank would be the minimum I'd suggest and that would be for Africans you can ID and know how large they get. I have a 55g African Malawi tank, but I know what each of my fish are specifically and I stocked it based on aggression (and color of course).

If all she has is a 10g, then I'd go with one of the suggestions in my earlier post and a school of small tetras. The ones I mentioned may be a little harder to find (look at a LFS) but are also very colorful.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies