Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBaby cherry barbs
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
So i found at least one baby cherry barb today! Accidental spawning. um anyways although i would like to know what triggered the spawning The most pressing matter is how to care for the little guy(s). I dont have a seperate tank i really dont. I cant leave them in their over night (two raphaels in the same tank) I have a fish bowl i know not the best but its all i can think of. I would put some gravel from the main tank (no filter on hand so hopefully the bacteria on that will help) and a few plastic plants i have laying around in. umm for food the only thing i can think of is ground up flakes. Im going to scrape together some cash tommorow and go look for a ten gallon and a small weak filter. any ideas on how to raise these little guys? Help would be much appreciated! and wish me luck i think i'll need it! thanks guys

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 22:11Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
EditedEdited by Gone_Troppo
Congrats on the fry Sora.

As you're planing on setting up something more permanent really soon I think the fishbowl will be fine for now, and with only a few tiny little fish there should not be too much of an issue with water quality degrading too fast. Do make sure that you use water from the main tank to minimise parameter shock, the gravel would be optional IMO but it can't hurt. I think your main issue with the bowl is likely to be temperature control - with a smaller volume fluctuations are going to be faster and more extreme and as I'm sure you are aware the more stable things are the better for fry. So try to put the bowl in a place that is of a constant temperature to minimise this.

I can't help too much with feeding except to suggest the generics of ground flakes, liquifry, BBS etc. Do you have some javamoss or something in the main tank that you can transfer to the temporary accommodations? Usually a nice scungy clump of javamoss will be teeming with little critters that fry just love.

When you go looking for a filter for your fry tank maybe try to get a simple air powered sponge filter - not much current, but sufficient surface area for a nice bacteria colony to get formed.

Good luck. Keep us informed of how it all goes.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2008 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
Good Deal Sora !!!

myself agree with G_T, that Temp swing in a bowl may be tricky unless you have a small spare heater on handas far as food, crush the smitherenes out of some flake food, that should do for now, or until you make a venture out for that 10g tank, I've had good results with that Hikari "First Bites", 1 packet should last plenty long for the little cherries to grow-out enough to start feeding on your regular food, also, if you are gonig to opr for a small HOB filter, consider getting a fine mesh "media bag" to tie or attach over the intake tube... but not too fine as it will impede water flow..
hope this helps ya some, good luck !!!

J.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2008 06:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
Thanks guys. Yeah As i was getting the bowl ready the tremperature thing suddenly occured to me. I've left the last remaining baby ( turns out there was only one left by the time i found out they had bred) In the main tank. It was pretty much sticking close to this one log and so i put a dense planting of plastic plants all around it. I had a few plastic plants just laying around lol. Anyways Its still alive and has gotten a little bigger. Im not quite sure what to do. Some recent events have dropped my cash reserves into the single digits. so i cant even afford a ten gallon right now. Im making sure the baby gets his food and im keeping the water clean. I dont know what else i can do. thanks for the help so far guys =] appreciate it!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 22:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Keep doing what you're doing - things will come right in the end
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 20:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies