L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Black Shark Tank Mates
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBlack Shark Tank Mates
ynnek
-----
Small Fry
I have a Black Shark in a 30 gallon tank. He is about 6 inches in length now. I know he will get large. I also see that he is shy, he stays in a cave all of the time. I am preparing to move him to a 75 gallon in the next 2 months. My question is is the 75 gallon large enough for him & can I add some Angle Fish?
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 21:52Profile PM Edit Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
black sharks can get very aggressive and very large. I know a guy that had one with other very large cichlids aggressive cichlids like red devils and buttikoferi. I believe he had trouble with the black shark being aggressive to those fish, so angels would definitely get harrassed or killed.

also, a 75 wouldn't be big enough for the black shark to grow to full size. I'm not exactly sure of the full grown adult size but I know it's very big. according to one profile I just checked out it's at least 2 feet.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 01:22Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i agree with jason, black sharks will not fit in home aquarias, and a 75 wont cut it.

Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 02:51Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ynnek
-----
Small Fry
How long will it take him to out grow a 75. I have a good spot in my living room & have already purchased the aquarium. I do have a room I plan to put a 150 - 200 gallon tank into a wall. But that will be a major construction project. It will probably happen at least a year from now. So my question is if I can hold him in the 75 until then? If not what to do with the fish? I am a relative beginner & was ignorant to the size the fish would become. The sales rep at Petco should have explained this to me or anyone else. I think she told me the fish would grow 12 - 18 inches. I do not really want to get rid of him as I have become attached to him.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 03:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
it takes them a while to grow fullsize, so it should be okay to stick him in a 75g for a while
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 03:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i believe the avg. size(in my mind) is about 24-36 inches range(of course varying) and i know my friend got his about 3 months and it turned from a 2 inch fish to a 8 inch fish in that time, so i am guessing that a 500 gallon tank would be best as this fish is a tankbuster and i would get the 125-200 fast.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 03:59Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
I have no idea how quickly they grow but considering the huge adult size they probably grow fairly quickly. a 75 will probably work till the black shark gets to around 15" or so. at that time, if you still have made no progress on a larger tank (make sure it's at least 2 feet wide) then I'd try to find someone to take him from you.

Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 04:59Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies