Votes: 201
female canada
Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has experience
keeping Blue Eyed Rainbows Pseudomugil Gertrudae
in a tank around 74F ?
I have mine in my 75g tank, but they are kind of getting
lost, and I was considering putting 4 of my 6 in my
10g 80F tank, and a single pair in my 2g, unheated 74F tank.
What do you guys think?

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2008 23:43Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
2g is really to small for anyfish...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 02:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
female canada
I have to respectfully disagree.
I am an experienced fish keeper,
who knows well how to care for tanks
and fish. I have not lost a fish from anything
other than old age in over 3 years, and I feel
I am ready for a challenge, hence my idea to start
a planted nano tank.

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
I'd nix them in a 2 gallon. Pseudomugil species can be a bit too active for a tank that size; frankly, most fish are. The group of 6 would probably work fine in the 10 gallon, but I wouldn't do any more than that.

Not that I'm doubting you, but the claim "I have not lost a fish from anything other than old age in x years" has always, to an extent, amused me. All that means is the person hasn't lost one to something obvious like ich or dropsy.

Edit: For what it is worth, temperature-wise they appear to prefer warmer waters. Both Fishbase and this amazing site list them as 74+ degrees.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 04:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Joe,
when an otherwise excellent condition fish, grows to be within the expected age range of fish of a certain species, and dies, would you not call that "old age"?
I assume any fish that is expected to live 5 years, and
acheives 5+ years and dies is dying of old age.

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
As I specifically state in my post, I am not doubting you. It is quite apparent from your various postings that you have a lot of experience with fish. It was a statement, in general, about fishkeepers -- how often do we get posts here about someone looking to put some kind of big cichlid in a 10 gallon because his or her last oscar "died of old age" simply because it died of something that doesn't have obvious outward signs, such as nitrite poisoning and the like?

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 05:10Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
There is a difference between keeping a fish alive and reaching a level of humane care. Even betta keepers need to be repeatedly told to get closer to the five gallon, and here im seeing a pro make a beginners mistake because of slight lack of empathy. No rainbowfish deserves to be in 2 gallon, even one as small as this. Its one of those issues that can damage your credability as a pro. Joe is right.

Pro is in what you do, not what you say. Think youre a pro? A real pro wouldnt do that. Sorry if that offends ego in any way, but it does happen to be the truth. I have never kept a fish in a 2 gallon tank, and I never will, its not just about managing water quality. Fitness, psychological health, and consequently immune system are all affected, whether you can see the effect or not. Lots of keepers have lots of experience but a mistake like that, fundamental as it is, can soundly remove someones status as a pro from the minds of others. Easy enough to correct it.

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 18:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Gosh ask a question have ppl jump down your throat,
wow how nice of you people.
I asked what you think, I didnt ask to be ripped on.
No wonder so few ppl browse this site these days.
If youre this harsh on experienced people how do you
treat newbies?

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 23:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
You asked a question. Three people gave you the same answer. It's apparent you don't like the answer. Just repeating ourselves doesn't seem to be working. What more do you want?

Edit: If you notice the threads in Getting Started or General Freshwater, FP is very friendly to newcomers who are willing to listen and learn. It is when they repeatedly refuse to take good advice while proclaiming to be acting in their fishes' best interest that sometimes members will get a bit more vocal in their opinions. It is a bit disconcerting when a much more experienced fishkeeper is doing the same thing, and, as such, members' efforts to make a point become -- out of necessity -- more ounced.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 23:24Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Indeed. Depends on how you look at it. A true friend will tell you truth, and that includes pointing out mistakes, and sometimes the severity of that mistake for impact, often a necessary step when an error in thinking has led to a decision making problem. A friend does not allow someone to continue in a vein that could lead them to abusive care. Its not a personal attack , just keeping you on the straight and narrow. Thats what friends do for each other, and their fish.

Someone who doesnt care will just humour you, say "thats fine" and let you go on to unwittingly own a fish with no life quality and potentially an early death for said animal.

We dont say what we say as just taking a shot at you, we do it to help, and its not always easy to say it.And yes, im sure a lot of newbies get a hell of a culture shock when they find out about the real deal of fishkeeping, but if we worried about everyones fragility of personality, the truth would never out, and the good would never be done.

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 00:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
I dont know, Im honest with my friends
but Im not rude and I dont roast them over
the coals.
Would it have been so hard to say something like
"I wouldnt recommend Blue Eyed Bows in a 2g tank?"

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 01:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Would you have listened?

Call that a roasting?

Sometimes life is action and reaction.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 02:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Obviously I would have listen. Im not an idiot.
Ive had enough of this thread and enough of this site
to last me a life time.
I think I'll be better off on the other site, with people who arent nowhere near as rude.
Sorry Adam. Good Luck.

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
When joe attempted to tell of the issue at hand he recieved this.

Joe,
when an otherwise excellent condition fish, grows to be within the expected age range of fish of a certain species, and dies, would you not call that "old age"?
I assume any fish that is expected to live 5 years, and
acheives 5+ years and dies is dying of old age.

You already didnt listen. Your further response is disappointing. Is this really about rudeness, because I detected none, or a problem with the acceptance of criticism? In all honesty now, what response did you really expect to get? You are as responsible for your words as others are of theirs. Some responses get a reaction, you should know that. Cant go through life never expecting to be corrected for errors. Taking corrections with grace is a part of being a pro fishkeeper. To never grow beyond a point of error will never serve you well.It limits your own ability.

You could also have responded " fair enough, ill move em to a bigger tank ". It would certainly have been nicer to hear than having to go through the motions of explaining it to you again with more vehemence.

I think I'll be better off on the other site, with people who arent nowhere near as rude.
Sorry Adam. Good Luck.

Nice touch. I dont really think anything said here warranted that.Especially being as much of what was said was about trying to stop you letting yourself down on a beginners mistake. I assumed it was something that with further information in context about tanksize being more than about balancing water quality and allowing fish a sufficient level of life enrichment, something that as yet you have failed to appreciate. That was a point we could have moved on from, and id still rather you did that. I could have sugared it up, but whats the point? If youre a pro you should have an understanding of these things. Perhaps because you self espouse to be a pro is precisley the reason we shot from the hip without pandering to the coddling niceties we would reserve for the naive beginner? Is there not a point where frank coversation can be engaged in, or do we all have to consistantly walk about on eggshells?

If you do ditch from the site I think it would be a shame.

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 03:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
not to be rude by any means sneaky, but i did say i dont recommend any fish for a 2g tank. regardless of what you may consider yourself as in the fishkeeping world everyone makes mistakes, but you had to go about and say that you were "very experienced"... experience has nothing to do with what you now, because you could experience a gunshot wound, but still not know how a gun works... same is true for an aquarium... you may have kept many fish to their healthful lives and eventually their "aged" death. but that doesnt mean you know everything and we are trying to help you and you decided to rebuke our advise and take it personally. you could have just said well i want to try and see how it works, but you simply said "i dont cre waht you think i think i am good and that yo guys are jsut picking on me"... that is not what a true "experienced" fishkeeper does. they take the advise of tothers and research what they need... there is no true expert fishkeeper... everyone must have room for improvment... have yo made any yet?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
If you truly intend to go, Sneaky, I'm sorry to see it happen. I think that this whole situation was a bit of a misunderstanding -- any perceived personal attacks were not made out of spite. All the statements in this thread were about the welfare of your fish. Keeping blue-eyes in a 2 gallon is just a bad idea, plain and simple, and we had to convey that with increasing vehemence because it appeared you weren't heeding our words.

I think we should just return to our separate corners, let ourselves cool down, and reevaluate then.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 05:29Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies