Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCherry Barbs
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I remember hearing that cherry barbs are best kept in trios. In the profile here it says to keep them singly or as a breeding pair. Which is best? I would like to add a trio to my 10-gallon tank which currently houses a pair of Badis badis.

><>
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2007 03:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
When i used to keep them, i had 4 of them with Angels, without problems. I prefer to keep them in trio's than as a pair, but that's my preference.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 20:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
Go with 2F to 1M. This way the male will not chase one down until she is exhausted.

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 21:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
Thanks. And for those with experience with them, are they very agressive feeders? The Badis badis are pretty shy, so I'm hoping whatever I put with them will let them eat.

><>
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 08:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
With the Angels, they weren't aggressive feeders & everybody had his share.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 20:30Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
I got a trio! They're really cute! Shortly after I put them in they were out and about, checking out their new home. Sometimes they stared down one of the Badis, but there was no aggression between them.

To finish off the tank I'll probably get some shrimp. I haven't seen Amanos in any of my LFS so it'll likely be some glass shrimp. But I'll wait for the barbs to get established first.

><>
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 07:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Maybe I'm a little late to the party here, but I don't think you need to adhere to that "best kept in pairs" business. Not sure how that got started, maybe because they're generally shy or because they CAN be kept in pairs, but they're schooling fish. That doesn't mean they stick together at every turn, but schooling fish don't have a problem being with their own kind. Since they're nearly extinct in the wild I don't know what their natural behavior is, but based on the behavior of every other barb known to the hobby and just about every other tetra - regardless of size - these small fish do well with large numbers of their own kind. I've never walked by a tank full of cherry barbs and seen them cowering in the corners to get away from the other cherries. Just the opposite, they're all quite active and full of color. There's probably something to be said for keeping a higher number of females than males to keep down that sort of aggression, but saying a small schooling fish should only be kept in pairs seems a bit off to me.

Just my 2c anyway

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 21:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies