SubscribeDyed barbs?
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
I saw some barbs at my LFS and weren't sure what they were. They looked a lot like tiger barbs only their main color was pink and they had white stripes. Are these some sort of barb I haven't heard of or are they dyed tiger barbs?
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2007 23:07Profile PM Edit Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
EditedEdited by doedogg
Did they look like this: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1002

It sounds like they may be albinos.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2007 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I would think they are albino tiger barbs. Often dying seems to be more unnatural looking colors. They have been dyeing or injecting silver mollies lately, though.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2007 23:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
It sounds like they may be albinos.

Yeah I think thats what they were. Kind of a cool looking fish really and I don't usually like albinos. Would these school with regular colored tiger barbs? If they bred with normal colored what would I get?

They have been dyeing or injecting silver mollies lately, though.

I did see some of these too but I don't remember which store. They seemed a little strange and I guess this is why.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
agent_orange
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 77
Votes: 31
male usa
They will school together with regular tiger barbs. As far as I know they are basically the same fish with a different color, which they don't seem to mind. There are also green tiger barbs, which will give another nice color to the tank. I'm not sure about the breeding of two different kinds, mine never bred while I kept them. I have also seen platinum tiger barbs, but I'm not sure if they were bred or dyed maybe someone else would be able to answer that one. As far as dyed fish go they are better to avoid because of the harm done to the fish and immune system.

What does that mean, Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have the cows been?
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2007 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
time4fish
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
male usa
Hello fellow aquarists. Being one to look for oddball fish that sometimes get sent along with regular shipments. I believe I have one of these fish also. Appears to be an albino at first glance but has a pinkish-orange hue to its back, pigmented eyes and bright red pelvic fins. The nearest fish I could find that resembles this one are farm raised red tiger barbs. Mine is pregnant, so maybe with luck I'll be able to see what a mix of the two will look like.
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2007 23:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies