L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Fat Danios
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFat Danios
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i have 4 danios, 2 of them glofish, and they all look pregnant(or full of eggs). every so often, they get skinnier then fat again. i never c babies in the tank. what is happening to Them??? thanx

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 02:17Profile PM Edit Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
Well, danios are egg layers so you wouldn't see babies right away. I know some fish lay eggs with or without a male present and I don't know if danios do that, but if they ALL are producing eggs, then they would all be female and the eggs would be duds. They could possibly be just eating up all the eggs. Or maybe they just get constipated?
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
If they are indeed laying the eggs, they probably never make it to the gravel. Eggs are a very nutritious snack, and any fish (even the other danios) will jump at the chance to get them.

Supposing that they do make it to the gravel and hatch, the fry stand a decent chance of being eaten before reaching adulthood, especially if you have somewhat large fish in the tank.

Also, I believe that danio females, in the absence of males, can actually break down and reabsorb the eggs without ever laying them. Don't quote me on that, though. Someone a bit more well-versed in cyprinid spawning can probably confirm or shoot that down.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 07:10Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i already know they lay eggs, but i would have a lot easier time finguring out the answer if i know their gender........ any ideas?

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 15:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
From FP's profile: "The male has smaller yellow lines between its black lines, while the females have a background of silver. Females are also more rounded."

I never had an eye for identifying gender in danio species. I always just assume the ones that get fat and skinny and fat again are females. It doesn't seem to be bothering your fish, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 16:04Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies