Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFirst Time Breeding Question?
PatchesThePirate
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
male usa
Hello yes I have some questions about breeding danios... ok so I was wondering on how hard would it be to breed Giant Danios with other smaller danios? Please and Thank You.

PachesThePiate
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 05:56Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
Are you talking about cross-breeding or breeding two Giant Danios with other danios in the tank?

If you're talking about cross-breeding...it just ain't gonna happen. Sorry. Not sure why you'd want to, anyway.

As far as breeding Giant Danios, it's not hard. If you give them good water conditions, it'll probably happen naturally. Just don't expect a high survival rate, especially in a community tank. Most, if not all, of the eggs will be eaten before they hit the gravel. Any fry that do hatch have a decent chance of being eaten. If you're going to breed with any success, you have to isolate a pair in their own tank with some sort of largish substrate (like marbles) for the eggs to fall into to avoid being eaten. After the eggs are laid, remove the adults.

Edit: Hah! I beat you, Shini!
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 19:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hello, welcome to FishProfiles.

It is, as far as I know, impossible for Giant Danios to breed with the smaller species of danios. They are too distantly related. Even the species of danios within the genus Danio do not hybridize with each other, so I would not expect a good chance for a member of the genus Devario to hybridize with a Danio species.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 19:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PatchesThePirate
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by PatchesThePirate
Oh alright then cause I was planning on trying to breed the glofish (a modified zebra danio) with a giant danio to produce a giant glo... And also thank you for your advice! It will be very helpful.
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2008 01:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
I'd say trying to breed those two would be almost impossible but using marbles is the best way for danios
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 01:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies