Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGiant Danio Spawning
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Now from what I have read, spawning these guys are not too hard. I have had these fish for at least 3 years now and this is the first time I have noticed spawning behavior.

Here is the story:

I recently moved from MI to NC. The water has changed from very hard water to softer water.

MI ~ pH 8, Kh 12-16
NC ` pH 7.4 Kh 4

I have these two fish in with my other fish in a 20G long bare bottom tank for the past two weeks as a storage tank until planted the 55G that they are in now.

Yesterday I finish planting the 55G (it has been running for two weeks with most of the plants in it). Did a 50% water change. Dosed prime, TLC (bacteria source), and 10ml of flourish and excel.

After the water change I added the two Danios and a Rainbow shark to the tank.

This morning I noticed some strange chasing behavior from the danios that I haven't seen before. I guessed that they were spawning as the male was chasing the female around.

Later today when the lights came on I started looking for eggs. I have only found two but I am guessing there are more scattered around the tank. Chances are some of them will be eaten by the parents and the shark but some might make it.

Is there any thing special I should do for the eggs. Feeding of the fry if any make it? Any links would be great. Thanks!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2007 02:09Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow I guess no one looks in this forum....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 01:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I guess not, I'll give a bump.

Never had any of my fish breed...well guppies yes, but the trick there is to stop them.

I'm not sure the eggs will make it, if possible I'd try moving them to another tank to prevent them getting munched on. If you havent got another tank try a fry net.

I've seen specialized fry food for sale in the stores, a liquid I believe.

Sorry I can't help out anymore.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 00:58Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Babelfish,

Thanks for the bump. I am guessing that the eggs either got eaten or if the hatch got sucked up by the filter. I have not introduces more fish into the tank so I am sure any new eggs will be lost if they spawn again.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 12:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies