Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGold Barbs acting weird
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
Hello all, I can't figure out what is going on with my Gold Barbs. They were all acting normal for the last 6 months and then just 2 days ago they are doing alot of hiding and chasing each other. I did a water change on Monday and since then they have been acting funny. Usally they are out and about swimming and now they are staying twords the bottom of the tank behind plants and under the caves. All the other fish are acting as they have always. I have noticed that the one female has something on the top of it in the middle just above the eyes. It looks like the scales are gone. I have checked my water prams and they seem fine. Could they just not be happy in the tank anymore?

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
NitrIte - 0
NitrAte - 40
Temp - 75D F

I have them in a standard 20g tank with...

4 Pristilla Tetras
6 Pepper Cories
1 Glassfish
3 Rasbora Harqlin
4 Gold Barbs

Any ideas on what may be the problem. My water prams have been stable and only the temp really moves around but not alot. I have the light on 10 hours a day, feed 2x a day & do weekly cleanings. Thanks

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 01:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
Do you think that they could be spawning?

just a thought

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 02:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
I had the thought go through my head but they are really rough. I thought one killed itself this morning because it hit the side of the tank so hard. They are really "jerky like". They swim normal for a bit then all of a sudden it is like something scares them and they just bolt from one side to the other of the tank. I was also thinking that the tank might simply be getting to small for them to swim. I do have alot of decor in the tank so there is not a huge area of open swim space. It is just worring me as they have been so calm up to this point. I don't know if it is just they need more space as most of the fish in the tank seem to stay in the mid to lower areas of the tank.

I am hoping to get a 20L this weekend as it will be my birthday so I plan to move them to that if I am able. I think they will be happier with a longer tank. I have a 10g that I will be taking down and putting the 20L there so I don't think I will have to worry about doing a cycle as I will take all the water & decor out of the 10g and also take some out of the current 20g. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
Putting them in a bigger tank is always a good idea. I can't think of anything else that it could be. hope you have good birthday.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
I hope that the longer tank will help. I did go ahead and turned off my HOB filter as I have 2 Penguin 660R units with large prefilters on them. I then just put my air pump and 2 air stones in the tank. I know most of the fish didn't like the current from the HOB as it would push them down. They seem to be doing fine without it on for now. They are also swimming in the area that was pushing them down before. I hope this will help for the next week or so.

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 07:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies