SubscribeNew goldfish for stepdaughter
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
Hi Everyone!!!

I haven't been on here in ages. Anywho, I soon will be moving into a new home with my boyfriend and his daughter will be with us half the time. I've promised her for a while that once she had her own room with us, that she could get my 20 gallon. She is 3 years old; so I will be doing the cleanings and everything when I clean my 60 gallon.

I'm planning on getting her one lively goldfish. Figure they're quite easy to take care of and it will just get her love of fish growing evermore!

Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas on this matter? Please let me know ASAP!

Thank you
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 03:22Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
get her a couple small oranda ranchus or moors. if you are gonna give her the tank take her to the lfs and let her choose betweent he two or sho her pictures on the computer or in a bok and let her choose. it would be a great bonding moment for the two of you...

i have a red cap oranda (the ones with the brain like thing on their heads) and it is the cutest. you could get her like 2 or three and eventually trade them in for smaller ones or upgrade when they get larger. ideally no goldfish could live in a 20g forever as they get very large. also if you already have the 20g and you have all the proper equipment why not get her a small school of neon tetras and a pair of gourami? that would be a niver display for her... but it is all up to you as it is coing from your wallet...

but if you are gonna get her golfish, get her a recap oranda, a black moor, and a gold or calico ranchu... that would give alot of variety and if you get juvies then they are like 2-3 dollars a peice at most LFS.

good luck and show us picts when you get it up and running.
brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Personally I wouldn't suggest even a fancy goldfish for a 20 gallon. Not only is it teaching bad habits to another generation but you're likely to kill the fish.

The smallest sized tank I'd put a fancy in is a 55 gallon, and that's with at least 10X filtration.

If you only have a 20 gallon to teach her with I'd suggest looking into gold barbs. They're a nice color, and nice and lively and they won't be stunted the way goldfish will.

A small school of gold barbs, and a small school of WCMM, maybe a few small shrimp for the bottom, and some java fern and other low light plants.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 02:16Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
I think it's great you'll get to share your hobby with your stepdaughter, (and get ANOTHER one HOOKED)
It will be good bonding for ya both, and she'll learn lots I'm sure

I've never seen a child not be fascinated by a guppy tank. She'll get excited seeing the babys too. Add a bristlenose pleco as they stay small, and an applesnail ?

Edit - and a few Amano shrimp ? (often called algae eating shrimp in the store, clear with a tan line down the length of their body) they are very tough as far as varying water condition, and interesting to watch. Make sure they have hidey holes

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2008 16:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
What Da said

Even us older kids get excited over little baby fry! And guppies will have them no matter what! I had bought a few for the tank at work and had more by the time I got there.

The problem will be that you may have too many fry, and I'm not sure the idea of culling is one that little humans take kindly too. You're LFS might buy back fry (at a greatly reduced rate) as feeders.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 01:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
like ai said or if i didnt i meant to...

take her to the LFS... let her choose.. maybe your step daughter would want puffers or mollies or guppies.. all male guppies would do great! or a betta and some platies...
the choices are endles, but you have to dedcide how much money to spend and how much time you will have to maintaine the tank.

3 female or 1 male betta and 10 platies would be good or 15 neon, rummynose or other tetras...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 02:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dvd_wightman
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 1
male usa
A goldfish would be ok for a 20, but not the best idea for a new fishkeeper. If I were you, I would take your stepdaughter to the LFS as previously recommended, and show her some easy to care for fish. Let her pick some out and go from there. Good luck!

Tanks:
10 Gallon-2 Platies
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 06:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I wouldn't put a goldfish in the 20 for the same reasons that Babel said. The Rummeys and a pair of Gouramis would be a nice touch though.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 17:05Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
Thanks for all the comments. I'll for sure take her with me. I'll try to convince her to maybe get something else.. I'll keep you guys posted..
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 17:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies