L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Pregnant Danio?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePregnant Danio?
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i just recently added a glofish to my aqauruim and i already had a blue danio and a zebra danio, and now my blue d. is very fat, maybe with eggs. i have had the normal danios for around a year and a half and this has never happened before. she has been fet for a while now.... is she full of eggs or just fat? would she be filled with eggs because of the glofish? if she is, can somebody tell me how to breed them?

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2007 19:44Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
It is possible that the blue danio (Danio kerri) is reacting to the glofish (which is just a zebra danio (D. rerio) with a few extra genes thrown in for good measure). Zebra/blue hybrids are not unheard of in the hobby, although they are for the most part infertile. Additionally, if the glofish and the blue did breed, I'm not sure how the glo genes would be passed along.

On the other hand, it is also possible that, as you said, the blue might just be fat.

What's your feeding schedule like and how old is the blue?

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2007 20:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
I read up on this, and the glowing genes do pass on, though i'm not sure how it works with hybrids. According to this page though:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=119
they are naturally less fertile than regular danios, especially the males, so I'm not sure why the glowfish would cause a reaction that the zebras wouldn't have caused in the first place.

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2007 21:50Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
so I'm not sure why the glowfish would cause a reaction that the zebras wouldn't have caused in the first place.

I guess if none of the normal zebras were male, that could account for that.

Interesting article, VCP.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 17:30Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
From experience I can tell you that if you breed the pure glofish(They will be pink with white strips) with a blue/zebra danio. You well get a totally 80s looking fish that has a pink top and bottom and blue/black strips with a dark gold in the middle. Unlike the mother nature made version there will be less distinction between the male and female color and you will have to rely more on body shape if you wished to breed further into the next line. I have only gone as far as three generations and coloring had not changed except for 1 in the gen2 that showed the same coloring of the a gold danio Picture
I will try and get some pictures tonight and post them back up. This was only with the pink not the yellow or green so they may be different

As for breeding you can either heavily plant you tank now and hope for some survivors or you can setup up a new tank.

If you go with a breeding tank you will need to(assuming you have match the parameters of your other tank temp ph ect..) add a 1.5-2inch layer of marbles or any stone that you think is large enough for eggs to fall through but will also stop the danios from fitting through. Lower the water level to about half doing this will lower the chances that the eggs will be eaten before they settle on the bottom. Danios are egg scatters after all. For filtration just use a little sponge filter.

To condition the danios feed them live foods I use frozen blood worms every night for like 5 days. When the females look like they are ready to burst do a large water change. The next morning get as many females as you can out of your main tank and put them in the breeding tank. That night right before lights out introduce the males to the breeding tank. Check the next morning and if the females are slimmer then tank them all out and look for eggs. If successful after a couple of days you will start to see tad pole looking things sticking to the sides of the tank. You can start feeding them as soon as the start to swim. Try Hikari First bits [link=Product]
http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_13.html [/link] the liquifry stuff leaves a nice mess.
If unsuccessful try again.

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 21:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Thanks =} Just sounds even more odd to me if the glofish is the male since it said 90% are infertile. Maybe he's just a little fishy stallion!!! Or would she still fill up with eggs even if he can't fertilize them... oooh probably that.

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 21:44Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
She is still kinda fat, but isnt very round, she has a little part that is almost pointy. now the regular zebra is getting kinda fat too, but not pointy, rounded. there are only 2 glofish and they are normal. also on the blue danio, the vent is sticking out a little bit. almont like a tube thing. the zebra doent have that. What do the eggs look like once they are released? i have one fish(Cremecical Lyretail Molly) that a little fat. her stomach is boxey and isnt changing in size. it is definatley a girl. i know they arent fat from overfeeding because i was away for 3 days and i havent fed them yet.

Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2007 23:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Those fish are not infertile regardless of what the developer tells people. If you read down to the bottom of that article you will find out that they breed like normal Zebra's.

Personally I have seen them in several shops and I for one will not buy them because of the Genetic Modification.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 05:26Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
You wont see the eggs. They will be to small

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 17:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Bubblebrain
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 22
male australia
i had a zebra diano a long time ago and it was fat for a very long time like months and then it disapeared for a long time until it started showing up again and it wasn't fat anymore. then a few months later it got eaten. and there were other zebra dianos in there as well and they disapeared at night one at a time. it was a blue acara which i was given as a gift that ate them.

hi
woot woot woot woot woot woot
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2007 10:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
so, she laid eggs then got eaten as well as her babies?

Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2007 16:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies