Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePregnant Danio??
Plant _LoveRR
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 10
male canada
Hi I've currently got 9 zebra danios ina 30gal. and one of them has gotten really big, fatwise. I've been monitoring them during feeding time and it's definately not from food hogging. Any chanch it could be pregnant? If so, how could I save the fry. BTW I do have a pretty heavily planted tank. No pics, sry.

Last edited by Plant _LoveRR at 02-Jan-2006 18:24
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Danios don't get pregnant they become gravid.
The difference being the danio you have is likely holding eggs and will need to spawn with a male before you end up with fertalized eggs and later fry.

Danios are very active about eating their dropped eggs during a spawn, but if you've got a seperate tank or a breeding trap set up (the ones designed to catch dropped eggs or fry work best) you can try adding a male with her for a few days to see if you end up with anything.

If your tank is heavily planted enough you may end up with the fry just by providing them with places to hide from the parents long enough that they outgrow their mouths .

^_^
[hr width='40%']
[/font]

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Danios aren't livebearers

It could be dropsy... that causes them to get big an' poofy. Are his scales pineconing out?

You sure he's not overeating? That's how mine always get big an' poofy

Here's a pic of one of my female bettas w/dropsy (I stuck her in that cd stack cover thing because that's the first container I saw that would be big enough to keep her in until she died from the dropsy... I didn't know if it was contagious and I didn't want to take any chances )

PoisonWaffle attached this image:
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Plant _LoveRR
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 10
male canada
I'm sure it's not dropsy so she may be gravid, I do have an extra tank but for now have opted to just leave her in the tank for now. Thanks again!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies