AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Tiger, Green Tiger and Albino Tiger Barbs... the same?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTiger, Green Tiger and Albino Tiger Barbs... the same?
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Are these guys all pretty much the same fish with regard to shoaling and behavior? If I were to fill a shoal of 6 fish for example with two of each of these species, would that truly be a comfortable arrangement for them, or do the various species have differences?

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 03:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I always say that you should keep the same color morphs together. I think you just get tighter shoaling behavior.

That being said, they might shoal a little bit with other morphs and would probably survive just fine. In my opinion, though, their behavior is much more natural when kept with similar fish, and natural behavior = happy fish.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 04:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
They are all the same fish give or take a touch of selective breeding, so their behaviour should be identical, and they should shoal together, however you should always be careful including albinos, who through lack of eye pigmentation often have a great deal of problem seeing with the clarity you might expect from normal fish, consequently albino fish may have a few issues in defending themselves from slightly aggressive species, even their own kind. On average they do ok though, more short-sighted than actually blind.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 04:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I would keep 6 of the same species with the same colours. I think it's better than keeping them in pairs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 20:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
EditedEdited by chris1017
I agree with jasonpisani, if you want to keep the different types keep a few of each type so if they are rejected they can have some of their own kind to be with.

chris
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 08:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
It's quite possible that tiger barbs' schooling behavior is triggered by the similar coloration of the other fish. This explains why many aquarists observe their tiger barbs attempting to school with clown loaches. So, I'd also recommend that they be kept in schools with fish of the same coloration.

><>
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 18:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
As has been said it's best to keep them in schools of their own morphs.

I've personally seen a regular tiger barb rip the stomach out of a green one. Now the green one could have said something about the other ones mama but somehow I don't think that was it.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 00:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies