AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Two Cherry Barbs, each in own tank.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTwo Cherry Barbs, each in own tank.
Pammy
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 130
female usa
Hi, I have a dilemma. I have two Cherry barbs, one is in a 5 gallon and the other in a ten. I recently lost some Betta's I was keeping with them. So, they're alone in their tanks. (Yes, i know. A ten gallon is WAY too big for a lone cherry.) I was thinking of combining them together in the ten. But, the cherry in the 5 gallon is on the agressive side, and the other in the 10, isn't. Should I put them together in the 10? The one in the 5g, seems happy on his own. But, I feel like the one in the ten needs a friend. But, i'm not sure if the agressive one will make a good friend.

When I bought the agressive cherry barb, I also bought another one, and the agressive one always bullied the one he was bought with. But, the one he was bought with seemed like he was sickly. And he eventually died 6 months later. I don't want that happening again if the agressive one was at fault. I can separate them, I just want others opinions before I make any traumatic changes to their lives.

Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 22:19Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
Are these cherry barbs male or female? If you want a friend for your lone cherry in the 10 then I recommend 2 females and 1 male, so if it's a boy add 2 girls, if it's a girl add another girl and a boy. This will help cut down on aggression since the fella would have a choice in women and it would spread the chase out a little. If you have two males together and no girls then they will take it out one another IMO.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 22:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bcwcat22
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 314
Votes: 34
male usa
crazyred is right just be careful because if 2 form a breeding pair the third may be shunned.

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" Simpsons
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
A school might be a good idea. 5 or 6 more cherries should do the job.
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 07:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cbcinnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 49
Votes: 8
female usa
I have 2 males and 4 females and they seem to be very happy. They are also schooling with my neon tetras.
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Pammy
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 130
female usa
Yeah, they are both males. I like the idea of 2 males and 4 females. It might help the agressive one not bully the other one.

Thanks for the ideas!!
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 19:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Spaced emu
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 45
Votes: 5
male malta
I am not sure but I think I read it was a bad idea to keep cherries in groups Try adding some other fish not just cherries
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 20:38Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies