Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeZebra Breeding
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
i have zebra danios in my tank and one looked pregnant, so i moved the male and the female into my 5gal they stayed there for about 3 days then i noticed the female was hiding and not moving much. then the following morning i noticed the female was dead. what went wrong?

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 08:38Profile PM Edit Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
I'm assuming you accidentally posted this in the wrong area?

To answer your question, there could have been any number of reasons why she died, and it may or may not have anything to do with her physical state or the move. She could have just been sick to start with. If the male is perfectly healthy, it might just be an individual condition.
Without any more information, guesses are just guesses.

Just a quick note, though: Danios can look gravid without being ready to spawn for a while. They are also monogamous. If you had this female for a while, she may have already had a mate (since they are relatively easy to breed).
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 18:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
well at the time i had 6 zebras and tow long finned zebras. is the long fin or short fin a deference in speicies or just a coincidence at birth? but moving on i have only lost two of the zebra, the female long fin and a short fin (not sure which sex). and lastly what are the signs of male/female. becuase i dont know how to tell the difference

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 21:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Was the 5g tank you moved them into cycled?

Danios are NOT Monogamous. This is an egg scattering
fish that will breed with whomever, whenever she
is ready.
They do not "pair breed", and are not monogamous.

Long fin danios and short fins are the same
species, just bred for longer or shorter fins.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
the 5 gal was cycled and i had not all but a few of the zebras in the i think thats where i went wrong... the problem is i dont understand the order of events and what is norm and whats not... Please help

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 01:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
here is how i breed my danios

In the morning I put all the females in a seperate tank feed them normally in the morning. For their night time meal i feed the females frozen blood worms and the males get the regular flake and then a treat of blood worms before bed. Then i raise the temperature(from 74-76) to 80 for the females and turn the bubbles up to give them a current to fight. The next morning i add the males to the female tank and let the baby making happen. I leave them in the take for anywhere between 4-8 hours sometimes longer take em out and a day or two later you got babies. I feed the babies liqui fry for about a 3 weeks then move them on to flake. For filtration i use a sponge filter and once the are swiming i use Inca Snails as my algea eaters.

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 23:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
edier
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 2
female usa
Just a note on the size of the spawning tank: I would go with a ten gallon. In my experience with five gallons, I find them incredibly unstable. (Damn water evaporation!) Danios are hardy little guys and breed very easily, but you may have more luck with a more reliable breeding enviroment. Don't give up! Hope you have better luck next time.

~Edier/UGLY_GURL/Coelocanth/Whatever else my name has been in the past...
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2006 09:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies