Fish Master
Kudos: 1692
Votes: 5
male usa
i want to turn my 20g long into a brackish tank heres what i want

1 knight goby
2 bumble bee gobies
2-3 mollies

is this ok. would you need sand or can you use regular gravel. also how would do the specific gravity.( i have read the article)also can you feed the gobies pellets or flakes

[span class="edited"][Edited by greenmonkey51 2004-07-02 18:08][/span]
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
just_one_more
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 31
female usa
The site I used when I changed to brackish was: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/BrackishSubWebIndex.htm

This site tells you everything you would want to know.

I have a candystripe goby - he's adorable. He loves to eat frozen brine shrimp. I don't know anything about BBG's -- sorry...

I have a black molly in there with my candystripe goby and she always tries to eat everything...she's a fatty!!

Just try to make sure the food gets to your knight goby before your mollys devour it.

I have sand in my brackish tank and I love it; I think it's beautiful. Be warned, though -- mollys are MESSY. I have white sand and it doesn't matter when I clean the tank, the molly always leaves little poo trails everywhere.

The specific gravity is really easy to figure out. Just get a hydrometer. Look for one that has the lowest measurement possible, since you'll want to start adjusting the SG slowly -- i.e., something that registers below 1.002.

As far as salt goes, I recommend Instant Ocean -- it seems to be really popular. Just follow the directions and POOF, you've got a brackish tank.

Good luck with your brackish tank.

I hope it helps!!!

Emily
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
TheGoldenDojo
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 559
Votes: 8
male usa
That would be overstocking. Mollies grow to 5" each, the Knight Goby grows to a little over 3", the BBG's grow to 2" and are highly territorial. Plus Mollies are herbivores and the gobies are generalized predators.

What I would do is have a brackish biotope community with the Knight Goby and 3-4 BBG's. That would work much better in the long run. What are you filtering it with? I recommend a Penguin 170 or a Millenium 2000 as primary filtration means. Use a good aragonite sand like Aragamax as substrate, and be sure to subdue the lighting. Hikari forzen brine shrimp or bloodworms would be a good choice for diet.

[span class="edited"][Edited by TheGoldenDojo 2004-07-05 19:21][/span]
me is already in use
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 99
Votes: 25
male usa us-california
For the bumblebees feed live or frozen foods, they won't accept flakes
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
[Link=Here's]http://www.fishprofiles.com/interactive/forums/thread.asp?id=42522[/href] a recent post about bumblebees. For the most part they won't accept flake, only frozen or live foods.

I'd probably keep the mollies out as well. I don't know about the knight but the bees like lots of plants and hiding places.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
TheGoldenDojo
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 559
Votes: 8
male usa
Knight gobies come from the same place and eat the same foods as BBG's, it should work. Just be sure to have sand, floating plants, and caves.
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies