Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe35 Gallon brackish tank log
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
i only have 20 watts on the 35 right now because i havnt had the chance to build the hood yet and its not a grow light its just a regular flourescent. its actually next to a north facing window so i open it for the light but normally its closed cause its next to the tv.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
Hey, as long as nothing happens to my Neos! That is my main concern! I can't wait until I can start my 30 Gallon tank up so that I can get my lil fellas! Also I don't want anything to happen to those mollies because I intend on getting the prettiest ones you have sent along with my Neos, so you etter take relly good care of them for me!!!

I better see more pictures too as well!

Christina
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Water change day YAY! The water in the 35 finally cleared up from the move from the 20 this has made me feel good. I have yet to have any sign of dead fry this has relived me to no end.

When i was setting it up i put all the micro-swords on the left side because there is a window there and I need the extra light. I think I am going to start on the hood today. I also think I am going to move the goby and neovespicula over but I will probably not let them out of the breeding net till the fry get a little larger as i don't want them eaten. The fry are about half the size of the goby but I am sure they can be eaten still. I will check the water tonight, I have kind of relaxed on the water changes from the nitrite levels as they are not very high still under 2ppm which the quiz says is only 1% of what it would need to be to start killing them. I guess if I let it get higher the bacteria will populate more redly.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, I moved the neovespicula to there permenant home along with the bumblebee goby in the move i lost one of my wasp fish. So I will be buying a new one for me when I buy some more for my friends. I am actually very distraught about this. The surviving one is trying to get the molly fry which are now a little big for him i think, they are actually nipping at the blood worms now. The adult molly are trying to pick on him and I love to watch cause I know one day one of them is going to get a rude awakining. The molly will be moved to my sons tank after christmas when I can afford a heater.

Its rally fun to watch him stalking the fry because he cant catch them they are way to fast but he stalks themhe seems to be taking a shining to his new home and is very active. I will get pictures up tomarrow
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
Watch out if you care about those mollies... The Neovespicula depressifrons will sting the mollies if they are being annoying. I haven't actually seen it happen, but whenever somebody puts Livebearers in a tank with the Waspfish at work, the Livebears always pick on them and after a while we start seeing dead guppies/mollies in the tank.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, so I moved the tank on saturday and moved the neovespicula yesterday and one died, and the other one seemed to be doing really well swimming and eating. But he died today. I had a little problem with nitrites after i swapped tanks but it was .5ppm. I didn't check it yesterday but today the tank is completly cycled. The water is clean and there isnt anything odd in the tank and the only thing i can think of is that they didnt like the ph change from one tank to the other i forgot to take ph into account when aclimating them. Any other fish I moved around seemed to be fine.

I cant move the puffers over for they will eat my fry so they stay in the tank they are in. I am going to setup the tank in my sons room and let the molly roam free in the 20. I am happy its cycled but its bittersweet becausde of the loss I am going to get new ones in a week or so and get salt in the tank
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
well the big ones were picking on it but nothing happend but its demise but they stopped so i dont know what killed it. The molly are going to be food thats why i have them. Well there babies are thats why there going into the 20g it will also serv as aclimation tank and hospital tank cause the molly are tough so i wont have to fear for them i nursed one back from death three times. that was back when the 10 wouldnt stay stable... before i got the aquaclear filter hehe. noob mistakes i guess
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, I added the moneys wort yesterday. I think that the Molly in the breeding net ate her babies or she just wasnt pregnant. I think she ate them but I figured I would at least see a few leftover but there wasn't. I need to suck up the food today and change the water.
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, Moneyswort is growing well. The microswords are all still living and the molly all 20 are still all very alive and well. I have found that I have 3 snails in there no idea where they came from. I am going to leave them in there so that the puffer can hunt them once I move the molly out into the breeding tank (the 20l formerly the project tank.) I am going to get some snails that live in the sand, and a fan shrimp at the end of the month. Also I am going to see about getting any of my other fish, actually i am going to look into that today.

I have separated out the molly I am keeping in the breeding tank, But am waiting to move the ones to the other tank that i am keeping because all of them look like females right now. Does anyone know how long it takes for the modified anal fin to show on the fry? They are all about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch at this point.
bananacoladafuze
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 147
Votes: 19
female usa
How many WPG do you have? Dunno about the fins. My friend has swordtail fry that are -months- old, and she still can't tell.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
I really do value your opinion. Everyones. I just enjoy doing differnt things and this I hope will give me a lot of experiance and some good photos to add to the site and all. Possibly give me cause to write up a report on the ins and outs of the experiance. Of corse crediting my many advisors.
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, I finally got my gh/kh test kit and the brackish water is kh 9 gh 10 and I want to raise them both to 15ish... Whats the best way of going about it. I have a ph buffer that raises the ph but wasnt sure if it was going to affect the hardness of the water. I actually need to raise the ph in the tank from 7.6 to +8. All fish are doing well my nitrate is at 40ppm after the water change. I am trying to descide if i need another water change i may do small ones over the next week about 25% instead of 50%. Anyway that is pretty much it for now. I gave away three of my fry to the guy at the lfs he is a cool guy he isnt the owner and isnt gonna sell or feed them just love them . Two went into the semi agressive tank and two in the community tank. I have four that will go into the 20 after the holiday when i get paid. I am not totally sure the tank is cycled. I used a cycled filter and bioculture and water from the not fully cycled tank to give the bacteria food. So I am hoping the fishless cycle will take so I dont have to worry about doing it again, the tank was moved to the 35 and wasnt empty for more than a couple hours and has been running now for a month. Fingers crossed!
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Well I have 25 new fry, I woke up christmas eve and saw them, I dont know that they are only first born there already eating fine flakes so.. and seem to be swimming a little more than just hovoring, but I would have noticed them since I just moved a bunch of plants in on friday. She was really big. YAY! more babies.
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, so I did my water change today, all levels are good. I have added more microswords and descided to add some sea salt to buffer the ph kh and gh and raise my gh level I have to do another test to see were they are.
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Salts in, spec grav 1.080 All fish are doing well, also found an all orange orange cromide. It is absoluty gorgeous. I have descided to keep him, I can get more but they where in the 10g at the store and they were fighting. Anyone think that they will fight if I have two in a 35, they are said to be peacefull. I hate the store I bought them from there display tanks are all 10g and are all are very old and not well cared for. But they are the only store that carry brackish fish, I can get them and they are already aclimated for 1.010 and any fish I order they will aclimate for me. This is a positive for the store but its still in the mall. I hate the mall.
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
1.080? you mean 1.008? 1.080 is super satly concentration.

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
DOH yeah 1.008 Dont belive i missed that. My brackish fish are SUPER SALTWATER DEAMONS! ok thats enough of that.
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
haha, would you like some water with your salt?

they are swimming in a salty plasma-goo like substance

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 09-Jan-2006 21:25

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Well fart it wont go away it isnt hurting anyhting as soon as I figure out how to hang the power heads I think I will be in business. The tanks current seems to make the fish happy, even the neovespicula depifrons who swim all over the tank. The rainbow Kribs seem to be ok, theyh have claimed two cave areas and funny enough rarly use the pot. I just have to find a lot more moneyswort because it seems to grow well in the brackish as well as the banana plants but three is enough of those.

Cheers
jfk
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 42
Votes: 1
male usa
how long do you plan on keeping the gsp in there? from what i've read they will need to full salt water when they mature, and the f8 will not.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies