SubscribeArcher
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
EditedEdited by sora
this is just out of curiousity i dont think im going to set up a tank for one but what size tank would you want for an archer fish. ive always thought they were cool and i thought itd be good to know if in the future i decided to keep one. thanks

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 07:14Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Big fish when fully mature, needs good brackish water quality, and a gap above the water of at least 6 inches to a foot so you can let them indulge in above water hunting ( you will so want to). Youd be talking 125 gal plus for a around 4-5 specimens of one of the more common larger species, some of these guys arent far off the weight of a medium trout, despite the body being a good deal shorter. Filtration would have to be good, especially when dealing with a promarily carnivorous fish with rich waste, and the odd dead feeder insect around, combine that with size, and your looking at the bigger eheim pro2 's and even the pro3 's for adequate filtration. Because of the brackish water a lot of the filter and tank equipment will need to be marine quality.

Typical setup would be a bit low on plants thanks to the brackish conditions, so youd be looking to have lots of interesting bogwood structures etc, and perhaps a few epiphytes or fake plants above water level so the fish doesnt suffer focusing issues. You need to shield lights and fixtures well against splashes too, they jump as much as they spit, and tankhoods will get splashed. I know the average LFS will be quite blase about the sizes they need , but if youve ever seen a full size adult at a zoo, they are really quite a big fish, in terms of weight, not that far off an oscar, except they swin a lot faster and have rocket propelled acceleration. Think of accomodations for a small shoal for them to be the equal of an arowana tank, and aside from added salt, much the same sort of setup.

Cagemates would be large, they will happily eat small fish, and ive seen them living peacably with other large fish like adult scats, monos, and anableps. With the youngsters you can get by with an appropriately setup 40-55 gal, but you shouldnt buy them unless your capable of heading off to the big leagues of aquaria and serious filters toward the end of their lives.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 18:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
ok! thanks LHG i really dont planon even trying till i getmore experience and am able to afford a much bigger tank. but thanks for all the info!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 04:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies