Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBanded Puffer - species?
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hey

I'm hoping someone can help me identify a puffer species that I have now seen on a couple of Aus websites. I could probably just get in touch with the suppliers to see if they can provide a species name, but though I'd try here first. On both sites the fish is listed as a 'Banded Puffer".

http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_28&products_id=2043

The closest matches I can find when I do a search for 'banded puffer' are Colomesus psittacus or Colomesus asellus. From what I can find neither C.psittacus or C.asellus are native to Australia or New Guinea, so I'm a bit confused as to why they would be listed under that heading.

I'm leaning towards C.psittacus as the fish pictured do not appear to have the black spot on underside the of caudal peduncle that is present with C.asellus.

Anyone else got any ideas?

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2008 18:12Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Only ones I've seen were identified as C. asellus.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/34577.1.htm?9#

Same, do you think? (sorry about quality, sneaky phone pics) I know the Sydney supplier has/had them listed under native, maybe it has trickled down? I can chase him for the import name if you like, the bugger owes me some cray

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2008 20:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
i reckon so. At least probably thought of the same.
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2008 22:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Hmmm... that's interesting ... your pics look very much like the ones listed on the suppliers site Callatya.

I am a bit concerned about the lack of black spot at the caudal peduncle though; I've been looking at pics of both species and pretty much all of the C.asellus display this spot. The spot and ray counts are the only distinguishing items of morphology listed on fishbase for the two species and the pics on suppliers websites are not high enough quality for me to be able to count rays.

C.asellus would definitely be my preference if I were to take the plunge and order some. Being the smaller of the two species, reportedly better in groups than C.psittacus and the tendency towards freshwater rather than brackish or SW the C.asellus seems to be a better option for me at this point.

I'd love to get into puffers, but I'm hesitant with these unless I know exactly what species I'm buying... I'd hate to kill the little things because I screwed up something as basic as providing the right salinity for them. If you do happen to catch up with the Sydney supplier Callatya I'd be interested to hear what they might have been imported as, in the interim I might make a few enquiries of my own.

Thanks to both of you for the help so far.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 04:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
wow... just got a surprisingly fast response from the supplier I contacted...

..." We only purchase the Puffers as Banded and they are from the northern territory area. We are unable to obtain a scientific name on these. They are kept in brackish water here."...

Now I'm really interested!!! I live in the Northern Territory and have never ever seen these in local stores, nor heard of them being collected locally The two species that I came up with are apparently not found in Australian waters so we may be on completely the wrong track as to species.

I've asked the supplier if they can pass on my enquiry to whoever it is that supplies them so I'll see what kind of response I get from that and post the response here if anyone is interested.

G_T

Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 05:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Just got word back too, sounds like they are from a local supplir as he said they just come in under the name "freshwater puffer". That wouldn't be enough to import under so either someone is farming them up there or they are natives.

He has pointed me to search bumblebee puffer, but I'm guessing that is more a sale name than a common name as, even from a quick glance, the size and colour don't look right. He did say that whatever they are, they come in fresh, are kept in fresh and go out in fresh. Probably doesn't help much but might be useful.

I'm going to a place that normally stocks them either today or tomorrow, which rays do you want counted?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
I'm really liking this supplier - even if they don't come up with the info at least they are fast about it!

I have got this information from the person that orders our fish here. He says that they may not be for sale in the pet shops there but they are caught in the wild in that area. They are just your local variety of toad fish from the ocean. Baby ones are caught in the brackish water streams near the ocean. Hope this helps.

And so armed with that info I think that what we may have is a Marilyna species... possibly M.darwinii ???

G_T

Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 06:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Looks pretty spot on to me!

Go for it. Honestly, toadfish are just fantastic! I have all but moved over to crustaceans now but my 3 little thugs are so utterly fascinating that they get to stick around. They (Torquigener pleurogramma and 2 x Tetractenos glaber) are going to force my to buy a small swimming pool to keep them happy. Still, they are utterly fascinating and well worth it (and currently the size of dwarf platies, so I have some time ). You won't regret it

Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 07:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Well it seems I've hit a brick wall... even if we do have the species right I have discovered that the OH can't stand them and refers to them as "evil, bait stealing little so-and-so's".

Until I overcome that hurdle there will be no puffer / toadfish tanks materializing at my house although they will remain on my "wanted" list

Thanks again for the help.

G_T

Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 15:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
My mother had a similar reaction when she came visiting. I practically had to hold her down to stop her scooping them out of the tank and puffing them under her foot. She was saying something about being owed hundreds of dollars worth of prawns or something...

But what are you gunna do, hey? It isn't like it is an undeserved reputation I guess.

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2008 08:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies