Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlatys in low end brackish?
jfk
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 42
Votes: 1
male usa
Can Platys handel low end brackish water?

Right now I have a Figure 8 with 3 platys in fresh water. I want to switch him to brackish and get a couple of Bumblebee Gobies. I was thinking that if the platys could stay in with them there fry would be a good food for the gobies.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I don't see a problem with that. Platies are certainly tolerant of low end brackish salinities, although I'd say Mollies are better suited to such a setup. However, since you have the Platies already anyway, I don't see much of a problem with this.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tankie
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 848
Votes: 230
male canada
i ahve to agree...ur platies will do just fine...actually they will appreciate the tinge of salt
tanker
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 113
Votes: 4
male usa
Platties and mollies can both tolerate salt levels up to roughly .10 with no problems, in fact mollies actually do much better at these levels.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
esandbergger
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 128
Votes: 0
female usa
Well i have no platys but my mollies love brackish water. They really perked up and the rest are doing just fine...
bracguy81
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
male usa
What is your tank size now. bumbgobs like to be in groups and have hiding spots for their territorial nature. they will most likely nip at your platies too. If you do this watch them carefully for the first lil bit, or you may loose your current babies. try buying about 3-5 bbgs. If your gonna do bw make sure your lfs keeps them in it. Feed them frozen blood worms. Oh and if your gonna do a bw setup, I wouldnt put a pleco in there. Buy some malayan halfbeaks to clean algea, or if you have snails in the tank for your puffer that will work too. Enjoy the hobby. Hope I helped.
Contact if you need anything else,
Brac
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jfk
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 42
Votes: 1
male usa
It's a 55gal. The lfs keeps them in fresh, and my tank is fresh right now. I'll start changing it to brackish a couple of weeks after I get the gobies. I can't keep snails in there for my puffer (he'd try to eat them all so fast that he would explode>) they have there own tank to breed in.
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies