Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeviolet goby question
charlie_tuna
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 160
Votes: 3
male usa
how long can a violet goby live in a freshwater tank?, I know there not supposed to be in freshwater, and no this isn't my goby I'm referring to, just a friend has this situation. so what can I tell him? Can I tell him he's actually killing it or what?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Toirtis
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 529
Votes: 6
male canada
He isn't doing it any favours. Arguablty, harm is done every day that the goby is in an inappropriate environment, so yes, he is slowly killing it (probably also with too warm water....violets do best around 70ºF-74ºF).
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 395
Votes: 0
female usa
I kept my 1st one in FW & it developed tumors throughout it's body--even inside it's mouth. Keeping a BW fish in FW will compromise it's immune system--causing diseases & early death.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
charlie_tuna
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 160
Votes: 3
male usa
thanx for the replies, now I'll tell my friend and see what he wants to do about it. again thanx!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Azrael_Darkness
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 420
Votes: 8
male usa
I think it depends on the fish itself, some are stronger then others. One guy has told me he has his his goby for 4 years now in freshwater and hes doing great.
malawianpro
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 29
male usa
i had one of these guys, pretty cool looking guys. Took about 2 mos after having him that i began to notice very pale in coloration, and discovering they were BW, i took him to a LFS that kept BW fish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BeastKeeper
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 389
Votes: 47
male usa
the violet goby being from brackish water means in the wild they can go from fresh water to salt water any time. but they do best in bw. most lfs keep the vg in fw.they like coldwater and dark spaces sense there nocturnal.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
malawianpro
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 29
male usa
Yea i agree with everyone here, i think i had mine for about 2 mos then i began to notice it was turning pale color, that was before i knew anything about fish, after researching him and finding out, i took him to a LFS that actually have BW tanks.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Brybenn
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1173
Votes: 1
male canada
theres a nice 14" one at my lfs rite now i told them when it came in that it was brackish but they wont listen to me they dont like me there n dont let me order anything thro them cuz they get the wrong fish althe time they put it in fresh water n i see it every 3 days n it looks worse n worse wish i had the room for a big brackish tank id like to buy it but have no room
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile ICQ MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas

I wouldn't be so tough on your friend. My violet goby is 14 inches long and 5 years old, in a fresh water 110 gallon tank. The fishes are very hardy and will get the pale appearance whether in brackish or fresh water. What usually will kill them is the lack of food on the substrate. They eat by filtering substrate through the mouth and out the gills. Any food on the substrate is then eaten.
Good luck.

Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies