L# 10 Gallon Stocking.
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe10 Gallon Stocking.
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
Mum has got a ten gallon, its in the process of cycling and i gave it a boost of media from my big filter.

But what to have. I really want puffers but she is whole hearted against it. Then i said dwarf cichlids, she was quite keep but i couldnt find any stunning pictures that i have seen before.

Now she is dead set on pretty livebearers, so i said platies, I know someone with a 300 gallon livebearer tank (LFS owner) who would probs take babies or at least take them to sell. Would this be a bad option.

Can anyone think of anything that would be suitable to fit the rare and fantastic colour requirements betwen us we want

I thought about going brackish and getting a pair of orange chromides? But i dont know how easy they are to find and also how they would do in a 10 gallon read a few places that say they are okay in small tanks but others not?
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 23:23Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Platies are good, guppies or endlers' (endler's would fit your rare requirement too) are great choices for a 10 also.

For unusual and colorful fish, there are some dwarf cichlids (Apistos, Nannacara anomala, rams) that are colorful. Go to images.google.com and search for pics to show her there. Also, small gouramis like sparkling or licorice gouramis are brightly colored, small, and unusual. Even an ususual breed of betta would be a neat addition to such a tank.

Also, there are a number of small colorful schooling fish that aren't as "common" as most livebearers - green neons, pygmy rasboras, glo-lite rasboras, black neons, rummynose tetras, blue tetras, etc would be great in a 10. You could fit a small school of these schooling fish with a pair of dwarf cichlids or gouramis, and it would be quite an eye-catching tank.

><>
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2008 00:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I saw green neons for the first time ever at the LFS. Hopefully that means they're getting more common. Prior to having seen them myself I would've said they're pretty much unheard of.

Just a few of the appropriate fish that are brightly colored and semi-rare include:
- Blue Eyes, Pseudomugil sp. ie. gertrudae, furcatus
- Featherfin Rainbow, Iriatherina werneri
- Dwarf cichlids, Apistogramma sp. ie. cacatuoides, Mikrogeophagus sp. ie. ramirezi
- Killifish
- Celestial Pearl Danio AKA Galaxy Rasbora, Danio margaritatus AKA Celestichthys margaritatus

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2008 00:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Well ive lost the battle, she wants guppies or platies, trying to get her to get Endlers though as i like them more ^^.

thanks for the sugestions guy
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 01:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
go with platies they are easy to take care of and come in a variety of colors to choose from...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Got the fish - well some

they had some beautiful apistos but mum didnt like them and its her tank.....

so we came away with 3 guppies and 2 platies - all male guppies and a male and a female platy.

I told her to only get 2 guppies but she wouldnt listen, but i was thinking how bad would it be if it was just the three males? Would it be overstocking with an other 3 female guppies? And how about a second female platy?

Gona get cherry shrimp for the bottom as well planting it with just cambioa (Sp) andmaybe a little ludwiga dotted around. Focal point is a nice piece of wood in the center probs trim the plants around that

So let me know what you think
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 20:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
3 male guppies is good - very good! Ad long as there aren't females to fight over, they'll be fine. Otherwise you'd want a 1:2 M:F ratio (you'd have to get 6 females if you wanted females, and then you'd be pretty overstocked). The best part is, the males are smaller than the females, so you're stocked pretty well. It would be ok to add another female platy.

Sounds like it'll be a pretty nice looking tank

><>
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 00:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
same with what superlion said...

sound like a beautiful tank!

when are you gonna share some pics?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
pretty soon ^^ gona get some pics of my big tank up as well, nearly finnished that one now just got to get some more gravel sand and wood on suctioncups
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 09:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
The only thing I would suggest is to get another female platy or else that male is going to harass the heck out of your female, plus having a good ratio just creates a better community tank. Can't wait to see some pics!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 09:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dvd_wightman
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 1
male usa
Three male guppies is a good thing. You don't have to worry about fighting or breeding and you get 2x as much color as a school of males and females. The only problem I see is with the platies. You want twice as many females as males because if you keep them in pairs, the male will harass the female.

Tanks:
10 Gallon-2 Platies
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 09:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies