Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe29G Stocking Dilemma!
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
So i've had a RTBS in my 29g for a while now. I got her earlier this year when she was tiny but now she's grown to probably 2.5"-3" already. I had some platies that I had to get rid of because she was getting too aggressive for them, but I've felt that the tank is kind of boring now with only one fish in the tank!

I went out today and fell in love with a pair of fiddler crabs. I know they need salt in the water though, so I added some salt to the tank - approx 1 tsp of rock salt per gallon. Will I be able to keep the crabs in there with my shark?

What tank mates can survive in a 29g with a RTBS? I read something a while back about them needing a larger tank around 2 years, so I have another year before she needs to move, I figure. I haven't been sure if I should just take her to a LFS or wait it out more until I see if I will be in a position to get and maintain a larger tank again. In the meantime, she looks so happy and healthy, I kind of feel bad taking her back to a place where she might not get great care. Should I get rid of the RTBS now, or get her tank mates in the meantime? Would Tiger Barbs work in this tank? Do i need to separate the crabs? Please help! ={

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2008 05:48Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
I would not put the craps in with the shark, I don't see that turning out too well. Everytime ive kept crabs with bottom feeders it was not good. And crabs need a land water set up to thrive. Tiger barbs would work very well with her. Tiger barbs I think are one of the best tank mates for the shark.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2008 08:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
yup i aggree %100,go the barbs,pretty much any sort of barbs will do,tiger,green cherry,spanner,etc,ect.they make great addtions with sharks,the rtbs will probly chase em,but good luck catching them,very active and very fast the barbs are.althought im not real sure if sharks will like that much salt!how big is your rtbs?
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2008 09:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
The crabs have some driftwood to get out of the water. I read that this amount of salt wouldn't hurt any freshwater fish. I was more worried that it wouldn't be enough salt for the crabs!

I might just try some tiger barbs then. I think it'll be good for her to have tank mates to interact with that she can't actually hurt, and i always hear tiger barbs are super active on their own, so the tank won't look boring and empty all the time anymore! I might move the crabs into my empty 10g then. Does that sound good?

Are there any other options other than barbs for me?

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2008 10:30Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
ok if you red that that much salt is ok then cool,it just sounded like alot thats all!but yeah there a few others you can have,there a slew of tetras you could go for,some of those little fellas are pretty fast,just how aggresive is the shark,cause ive got a redtail in with my cichlid tank,and if they bother him,boy does he give them a run for there money,and thats in my 89gallon tank!the redtails can be very hostile,normally if they are fairly hostile,smaller weaker fish will get picked on,chased away at dinner time,this is why i just put mine in with my cichlids,since then hes been great!also in a 29gal,you are going to be fairly strapped for space,as you said you rtb is growing fast,and pretty soon will require a upgrade to atleast a 55gal in my oppion,so whateva you do pick to house with you rtbs,will have to be something that stay pretty small,unless a upgrade in tank size is planned!
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2008 11:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
EditedEdited by Calilasseia
Heads up everyone ...

I would NOT put salt in with ANY Cyprinid fish. In fact, I would not put salt in with ANY of the fishes of the Superorder Ostariophysi, because they haven't evolved to tolerate salt in the water. They're ALL (with the exception of two unusual Catfish Families) primary freshwater fishes, and are likely to be stressed by even modest quantities of salt.

If you're looking for something that's likely to be tough enough to live with a Red Tailed Black Shark as it grows, and is also likely to be untroubled upon account of living in a different water zone, I'd run with Florida Flag Fish. Mine work VERY well with Siamese Algae Eaters, and I see no reason why they shouldn't work well even with a feisty customer such as a RTBS, because the Flag Fish are well able to look after themselves. Big males in particular won't put up with any nonsense from your RTBS and will tell it where to go if it does start to cut up rough.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2008 05:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
im glad you said that cal,salt didnt sound real good,but i wasnt sure,i new id red or herd it somewhere that salt isnt real crash hot for these guys..
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2008 14:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies