Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe30 Gallon
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 222
Votes: 24
male usa
About a year ago I purchased a keyhole cichlid for my 30 gallon. Everything went fine for a while. I've had some fish kick off because of old age, but didn't replace any. Then, just recently, my younger healthier fish started dying off and they had torn fins. I treated for fin rot, but they still kept showing up. I then found my keyhole was terrorizing all my fish. He would nip fins and peck out eyes. As soon as I saw this I put him in an empty 5 gallon, and tomorrow he's going to the pet store.

So this whole story comes down to...

Has anybody else had problems with keyholes doing this? Everything I've read about them says they're so peaceful and people love them. Though, with cichlids more than other fish, they all have unique personalities, and I suppose this was a bad one.

Another thing is I would like some stocking suggestions. My current stock is:

3 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Platies (1M 3F)
2 Guppies (1M 1F)
1 Female Betta
1 Clown Pleco
1 S.A. Bumblebee Catfish

I've never had a problem with guppies and platies over populating, and it's been like that for about 2-3 years. In fact, none have survived unless I put the female in a seperate tank. The rasboras and betta are pushing 4 years old, and I've been waiting for them to kick off one of these days, but they're still going strong.

I was thinking of something that will add activity to the bottom, and something to be a centerpiece fish seeing as my betta is reaching the end of her life span. I do intend on getting more rasboras.

PH:6.8
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
Ammonia:0

It has a moderate amount of live plants, assorted sized rocks, and plenty of drift wood.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 08:36Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Definitely get 3-6 more Harlequins.

Is this a 30 long or 29g tank...or 30g tall? The shape of the tank plays a part in stocking load.

I think once you get rid of the Keyhole, you could add a shoal of cories...as long as the Bumblebee cat isn't aggressive. 6-8 would be a nice group.

I don't think I'd add any mid-top fish because once you fill out the rasbora school, you'll be pretty full. You might could squeeze in a dwarf gourami or honey gourami.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
The tank is a 30 long. I like the stocking suggestions you gave, and I believe I will go by that for finishing off my tank. Thanks for the help.
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2006 08:36Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
With a 30 long, you have room for 8 cories...especially if you get a type that stays around 2 inches. Panda cories are alot of fun if you can find them. Skunk cories, Bandit cories, and False Julii (trilineatus) cories all stay 2 inches. And with a long tank, your BB cat should have room to claim his own territory. I think they hide most of the time anyway, right?

And I think you will have room for a smaller gourami. Longer tanks allow you to have more fish IMO since fish swim horizontally....so you can put a few more in.

It sounds like a nice tank!

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2006 18:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

You have ahd a problem with a Keyhole Cichlid being aggressive?

I have to say that is something of a first. I've never heard of Keyholes doing that before. How big is this specimen? And, what are the actual dimensions of the aquarium (length x width x height)?

This one I find puzzling. Anyone else care to step in and share similar Keyhold Cichlid observations, only I'm used to these things being nice and peaceful ...

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2006 08:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
tank dimensions are 36x12x14. He was about 2 1/2 inches long. I thought it was pretty odd myself. He was not timid and shy at all. For a while though it was my favorite fish, until I witnessed it terrorizing my other fish. I guess with cichlids it's kind of hard to tell what's going to happen with their personality.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 20:00Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I've seen quite a few aggressive Keyhole Cichlids. They tend to be peaceful fish, it isn't tremendously unusual to end up with a nasty one. I've also seen other supposedly peaceful cichlids be agressive... Curviceps, Apistos, Flag Cichlids, and even little Checkerboard Cichlids can be pushy.

It's just in their nature, as it is for most Perciforms. We've all heard stories of aggressive Blue Gouramis terrorizing tanks, and they're supposed to peaceful as well (and most of them are).

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 21:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies