bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
1) what is general care and set-ups
2) do aquatic frogs need a place to go on land(or dry area)
3) do they eat fish, b/c i have read mixed results
4) at my lfs they are a buck each so what would be a good amount for a 10, 2?
5) my tank is half full with water, what are the chances it escapes?
6) any other notes that i should be aware of.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 05:21Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
1) Treat them like fish. Small, delicious fish that other fish like to eat more than anything. Planted community setups with small fish like neons, corys, danios, and guppies are best. They are found throughout subsaharan Africa in the wild, but prefer slow moving waters (an undergravel filter is probably best, but a weaker powerfilter isn't going to suck it up).
2) They don't need a place out of water. They'll try to escape anyway, just like hatchetfish or eels wil, but they'll dry up and die out of water. Additionally, they don't really walk too well on land.
3) They might eat fish eggs or fish fry, but they don't get big enough to eat fish. They're more interested in bugs or small worms than fish.
4) 5 or 6. They tend to like being in groups.
5) Nope. They're not exactly the most powerful critters in the waters of Africa. You could really fill it all the way to about an inch from the top if you wanted.
6) Don't confuse this with the African clawed frog, which gets quite big and will eat other fish and can escape from a tank pretty easily.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 17:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
You can fill your tank up but they will jump out if given the opportunity. I have had a couple jump out of the tiniest gaps in my hood.

I have also found that mine loved shrimp brine

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 20:12Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
ok thanks, i was really concerned with it escaping, and after reading online articles i heard alot of mixed results, for example they dont make a good pet, they eat small fish(others site say no), they can escape very easily etc....

i will probably end up getting one to try, and if they cause a problem i guess i can feed them to my arowana, or keep in by itself.

BTW i am planning on adding it to a community tank with neons,rosboras,white clouds,mollies,platies,rummys,cardinals,cory, ottos, are these good tank mates.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 20:18Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
Just setup a normal fish tank except use a weak filter, don't use fine leaved plants which they can get tangled in, and watch out for gaps in the top they can escape from or just lower the water level an inch or 2. They don't swim all that fast so they can't really get up any speed to clear the top of the tank if the water level is even a the slightest bit low. They climb out more than jump out. They do like lots of decorations like driftwood to hide around and if your using a powerfilter that would help break up the current.

African dwarf frogs will not eat fish and may grab the occasional fry but they are such horrible hunters that unless your breeding something really valuable you probably won't even notice. They might make off with 1 out of 100 fry. They will need some frozen food and do best when target fed. They are very poor hunters that use eye sight first so they prefer food that is wiggling and sinking foods on the bottom don't wiggle. When they think they are near food either by sight or smell they start snapping everywhere and seem to just get lucky when they actually grab some food. Some have also snapped up bits of gravel when feeding off the bottom and choked on it. I fed mine every other day with frozen squid or bloodworms sucked up into a dropper and held in front of them.

Don't put them with anything big or even slightly agressive. They are so peaceful I've heard of them getting picked on by shrimp. With nothing else in the tank I might do 5 frogs in a 10g but to make it easier to feed and keep track of them all I'd probably stick with 3-4 and add a few small colorful fish like tetras. Some days my 3rd one never got fed because I couldn't find him.

Lots of fast fish will make it impossible for a frog to get food. 1 school is one thing but several will snatch up all the food before the frog even knows it's there. That's why they aren't the best for community tanks.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 20:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
"ok thanks, i was really concerned with it escaping, and after reading online articles i heard alot of mixed results, for example they dont make a good pet, they eat small fish(others site say no), they can escape very easily etc...."

Sounds like a good description of the african clawedfrog, not the african dwarf frog.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 21:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
African dwarfs and clawed frogs are not to be confused. ADFs are small, tricky feeders, that dont really like community cos they have a hard time competing with fish for food, they are rubbish swimmers, hate high flow rates, prefer live wormy foods and heavy planting and dark conditions.

Clawed frogs will eat anything smaller than an adult tiger barb, and will try to bite bigger fish, they can jump clear of the water, but aside from that are much tougher and easier to keep.Nothing like as shy, and thats to be expected considering they weigh about 30-40 times as much as an adf..

Both these species of frogs do better in species tanks. Adf's are too shy for most communities, and clawed frogs will treat most communities as a larder.

Neither species need land areas, being entirely aquatic, but both will appreciate areas where they can sit below the water surface in floating plant clumps.Adfs will appreciate caves too. Clawed frogs will be more likely to haul out than adfs.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 17:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
clawed frogs, i often see them as the fat albino ones at my lfs, but often these ADF are under " under water frogs" so that confused me alittle, but looking at pics, i have a ADF.

thanks for all the help, this little guy is eatting well on BW.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 19:26Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies