AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Accidental Breeding of Giant Danios!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAccidental Breeding of Giant Danios!
IllusoryPerception
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
I noticed what looked like fungus/cottonmouth on one of my two Giant Danios, so I removed both of them from my 55 gallon and put them in a 4 gallon fish bowl that I'm using as a hospital tank. The tank was sitting closer to a window than the tank they came out of. I woke up yesterday morning and noticed that there were a few hundred small, clear, round things that I assumed were eggs (my roommate said no way it was just debris). Well this morning I woke up to HUNDREDS of little specs swimming around in the water! I'd estimate at LEAST 300 fry swimming around at this time, with a few hundred more at the bottom and sides attached to the glass.

Anyway, I went and picked up some liquid fry food and they are going crazy eating it. I've read up and it looks like I need to do daily water changes and keep feeding these things a few times a day.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm a breeding noob and have only been caring for fish for less than a year, so all my info is coming from searching the web.

Thanks!!!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 23:14Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You'll probably want to carefully move them to a bigger tank soon. The water quality is going to get out of control in the bowl and with that many fry they are going to start to stunt after awhile. You'd be best off grabbing a cheap 10g(just the tank) and use a gravel vac tube to suck the fry and water both into the new tank along with moving anything else in the tank. Then add a sponge filter. When you do water changes add a little more back in than you took out. That way you won't shock the fry by suddenly putting them in new water and the amount of water they are in will slowly increase as they get bigger. Danios breed like rabbits and the fry are pretty hardy. The real trick is usually keeping them from eating their own eggs before you can move them. At this point so long as your careful and keep up the water quality you should be able to raise the fry.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2007 00:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies