L# Beginner who needs help
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBeginner who needs help
nesposeidon

Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
female usa
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question. I have a Blue Betta in a 1/2 gallon tank, (don't nag on me with that I know it's bad but it was all I could afford at the time, and honestly I was just glad to get it out of that stupid cup it was in.)I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank to put it in and also getting a few tetras, now I know that bettas aren't good with other fish, but I've read in various places that they go well with sertain kinds of Tetras. question 1) Is it a bad idea to get Tetras to go with my Betta. Question 2) Should I skip on the idea of getting a ten gallon and go with something like a 15 gallon tank. Question 3) if I were to get Tetras is there a way for me to tell the difference between male and female so when I do get them I know that they won't breed (mainly because I know I don't have enough tanks to keep that many fish. and not enough money to buy more.
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2012 23:37Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I won't nag you about keeping a betta in a 1/2 gallon tank. I had one that lived in a 1 gallon bowl for 6 or 7 years.

Whether or not your betta will get along with tetras depends somewhat on the individual betta. Some are a lot more aggressive than others. Also, it depends on what species of tetra you are getting. Some will persistently nip your betta's fins. I'd avoid some species of tetra (serpaes, black widows, etc) for that reason. Cardinals, rummynoses, bloodfins, among others are better choices.

I don't think anybody here is going to talk you out of the idea of getting a larger aquarium! The bigger, the better in terms of stable water quality. Bettas are often somewhat slower swimmers, so you may want to stay with a smaller aquarium to give them a better chance to get to food, but I have heard of them being kept in community aquaria upwards of 100 gallons.

As for your tetras breeding, I wouldn't worry about that. They and the betta will eat any eggs or offspring that appear. Those wishing to breed tetras do so by removing them (and any other occupants) from the aquarium after they spawn. Some species of tetra are easy to tell the males from females, others are more difficult or require the fish to be in breeding condition (rare in stores' tanks) to tell.

><>
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2012 00:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
nesposeidon

Small Fry
female usa
thanks for the info, I was just wondering weather it was a good idea, cause I've noticed that my Betta is very docile, wich is strange, he doesn't flare up like other Betta's do when I wiggle my finger in front of him or any thing, he may jerk around slightly but he's kind of like. meh... whatever. which gives me the idea that he might be okay with other fish. anyway, thanks a lot, I've been thinking of getting Glowlight or black neon tetras, I hear that they are mellow and non nippy but I'll look into the others too, thanks for the advice.
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2012 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
1/2 gallon is a little small like superlion said, but with proper maintenance (weekly or twice weekly water changes) and not over feeding it can work. What's really important with small tanks is that they are heated, and not many places sell heaters for small tanks.

Not nagging, just pointing out why we do seem to nag. I've also had a betta live just fine in a 1 gallon.

If you can, go with the 15 gallon for exactly the reasons superlion mentioned. Bigger is almost always better (until the power goes out at midnight and your canister starts backflowing and your husband wakes you up because the living room has water all over it and half the tank is drained and the water is flowing down the stairs and disappearing into the storage room. True story.)
Biggest you can afford (don't forget a proper stand, filter and heater in your calculations!) is best. Long tanks offer more surface area than tall tanks. Surface area is what determines stocking capacity.

Sorry if this is all old info

It really does all come down to betta behavior, most don't like much water flow or currant (you'll need to provide some quiet spaces for yours) but I've had one that just loved swimming along the bubble curtain .
Since you already have a half gallon tank that he could go back to should he start harassing others I don't really see it as a huge problem. Just make sure you've fully cycled the tank before stocking with fish. There are a number of good bacteria starters on the market that you shouldn't have a huge issue with cycling the tank.

And no, you wont have an issue with breeding, adults take care of the issues for us.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2012 01:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
nesposeidon

Small Fry
female usa
Thank you so much. I think I have a good idea on what to go with now, I just have to go to the store and get a tank, and start the cycling process. did that story you told happen to you or someone you know, if so that's sad. ^_^ oh and another thing, my Betta is pretty docile, at least I think so, he never puffs up when I'm around or when I wiggle my finger around in front of him.

I also have another question, should I put my Betta in first before I get the tetras or should I put the tetras in first to tell my Betta who's boss?
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2012 02:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
That story may have happened to us last weekend . Luckily we have hard wood floors, and it's the first time it's ever occurred during a black out.

I've never had a better flare because of a finger. Try a mirror for a few seconds (don't make him flare too long, it stresses them out!). Mine would always flare for the betta on the Hikari package.

I might go with adding the tetras first if they're small. Let them grow up a bit and they shouldn't too easy of a target.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2012 04:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
nesposeidon

Small Fry
female usa
wow, you were lucky. ^_^

Alright I'll try that out see if it works, ^_^ Thanks for the advice again

Tetras fist, got it. Thanks
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2012 16:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
captonize

Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 2
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 26-Mar-2012 09:27
ok this has nothing to do with the actual topic but i have to say this is the only site where i have seen my smile used (^_^) crazy! i think im up just to late! but any ways kudos babel you are very knowledgeable and helpful. and oh man on that story crazy things happen!
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2012 09:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LionHeart

Small Fry
I love Feeeessshhhh
Kudos: 3
Votes: 5
female usa us-washington
Fun fact: In China betta live in rice patties and puddles in the street and survive by jumping from puddle to puddle. So a half gallon probably seems like paradise in comparison I actually have my betta in vases with bamboo. They are very pretty.

Rise and then rise again, until lambs become lions
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2012 09:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies