L# Blue Bala Sharks?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBlue Bala Sharks?
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
i was at the fish store, and saw bala sharks that were blue in color. they were all small.

is this a color variation, or were they dyed? I didnt think it was possible to dye a bala shark due to their large scales.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 06:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Bala Sharks in any color other than silver have been dyed. I would advise against shopping at the store that carries such fish.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 19:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
they probably got them by mistake.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 20:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

Hmm, hold on a moment.

Are you absolutely sure that these fishes are Bala Sharks?

A photo would be nice.

Take note that while the fishes themselves are mainly silvery, the scales will reflect coloured light, and if there is a blue tint to the lighting that is used to illuminate their aquarium, the fishes will appear suffused with blue. However, if the fishes concerned are an intense blue colour, then we're into different realms.

If the fishes are indeed identical to Bala Sharks in appearance apart from the colour, chances are they're dyed, and as stated above, they should be avoided.

However, there are some naturally blue Cyprinids that occasionally pop up in the trade. One I can think of straight away is Luciosoma segiterum, otherwise known as the Apollo Shark. This fish should be markedly different in body morphology from a Bala Shark, but if you don't know what to lok for, it's wise to check the ID and make sure your fish isn't one of the rare oddities that crop up from time to time.

It might also be a good idea to check out one or two members of the Family Hemiodontidae, one or two of which can bear a passing resemblance to Bala Sharks despite being in a different Order!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 01:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
there were other balas in the tank that were regular color

i didnt know it was possible to dye balas because of their scales and stuff.
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 02:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies