Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFigure 8 Puffer Feeding
Yukon Mike
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 3
male canada ca-yukon
I have recently added 2 figure 8 puffers to my tank, i got them to take care of a snail problen i had. now that the snail problen is taken care of i need info on what and how to feed them. i have read they love clam's, do i just drop a clam in the tank for them? and let them chew away at the shell, do i open it up? any help with this would be greatly appriciated.
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2006 17:53Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
I'm fairly sure that clams should be offered on the half shell, with one side already broken open. I don't think the puffers will be able to bust open the clams themselves.

Other foods you can try are krill, worms (tubifex and bloodworms), and small shrimp. Feeder ghost shrimp work pretty well provided the puffers notice them. You can also see if a local lfs will let you have pest snails from one of their tanks. If they are readily accessible, the nicer employees shouldn't have a problem getting some for you. You can even raise your own in a seperate tank.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 04:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
frozen brine shrimp should be accepted. when i had dwarf puffers all they ate was brine shrimps.
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 04:25Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Well, they exterminated your snails nicely ... and now, you're being told to obtain snails and cultivate them ... an irony that should not be lost on you.

But seriously, that's the way to go - cultivate what other people call 'pest snails' and feed them to your Puffers. It's not as if pest snails are hard to cultivate, you can cultivate them in unlimited numbers when you DON'T want them!

Small 'critter keeper' type plastic container, airstone, some source of heat, chuck in a nice big handful of pest snails, then keep adding small amounts of shredded lettuce and flake food for the snails to eat. You should end up with a seething colony of pest snails in no time, and banquetting a-plenty for your Puffers.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 08:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
What type of tank do you have these guys in? Figure 8 do best in slightly brackish water and are more agressive than dwarf puffers. If these are actually figure 8 puffers then nipped fins, dead tankmates, and sick puffers are definitely possible when they get bored and when they succumb to completely freshwater. http://www.pufferlist.com/puffer/brackpuff.php?puffid=13

I cringe everytime I walk by a freshwater tank in the stores and see figure 8 puffers. So many people buy them without knowing anything about their care and these guys end up dying an early death while often taking a few tankmates with them.
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kim
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 436
female usa
Brine shrimp should not be a primary part of a fish's diet. They don't have much in the way of nutrients. Use them as an occasional treat instead.
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2006 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies